Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Fig American Amber Weizen..need some help

Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
Lazersgopewpew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fig American Amber Weizen..need some help

Hey everyone, So I need some help with a recipe, and I'd greatly appreciate some input.
I have several fig tree at my house which usually yield a bumper crop late summer and I wanted to use some in a brew this year. From what I've read everyone seems to think they'd go well in a Dubbel but being the wheat lover that I am, I really want to try using them in an Amber Weizen, but I've never made anything that dark.

The recipe I have so far is as follows:
Partial Mash
2 lb German Wheat Malt (Is this the same as Red Wheat??)
1.5 lb Munich Malt
8 oz Brown Malt
8 oz Crystal Malt 60L
4 oz Aromatic Malt
3 lb Wheat LME

To this I was planning on adding about 3-4 lb caramelized fresh figs in secondary

Not sure what kind of hops to use, but as they'll just be bittering hops, It probably doesn't matter that much.

The yeast I was thinking of using was WLP320 (American Hef)

Also, I was thinking of using some Marris Otter, or Biscuit Malt.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Everyone.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would throw in some 2-row Maris Otter or maybe some 6-row if you can get it. 6-row has more diastatic power than 2-row and will help convert starches from the other grains that don't have that many enzymes (ex: Munich). You cold go with 2-3 oz. of Cascade or a low alpha Noble Hop for bittering. Everything else sounds good. Maybe up the amount of figs to 6 lbs. if you want to really taste them. I used 3 lbs of peaches and 3 lbs. of mangoes in a pale ale and it was delicious. Definitely age this beer for awhile and the fig flavors will mingle with the other darker grains to produce a nice beer.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Lazersgopewpew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I added about 12 oz of Maris Otter to the recipe, but I just remembered I forgot to add the Brown Sugar I would be using to caramelize the Figs (and not to mention the sugar the figs would provide) Which would put me at over 6% ABV. Quite High for a Wheat beer isn't it?

-on a side note, does anyone have any specs on figs for beersmith?

Also, this being a wheat beer, I imagine it wouldn't age very well would it? I've been told, and seen for myself, that wheats tend not to last as long as other beers. Would a higher ABV counteract this?