Last two beers dis not ferment out - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Last two beers dis not ferment out

Old 06-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
Kluxen
Recipes 

Nov 2011

Could it be the hot temp lately? I don't have a controlled environment to ferment in. Can I dose them with another batch of yeast? Both stalled around half way to desired fg.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Durham, NC
Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluxen View Post
Could it be the hot temp lately? I don't have a controlled environment to ferment in. Can I dose them with another batch of yeast? Both stalled around half way to desired fg.
Heat would make them ferment more strongly. How are you measuring gravity? All-grain or extract? Recipes? Starter or no?

Need MOAR info

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
Kluxen
Recipes 

Nov 2011

All grain, with starters. Beers are black ipa and cream ale. Both with 1056. Both had vigorous fermentations initially. I recently switched to a spectrometer from a hydrometer. I calibrated it. Could it be off? Never had a problem before.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
pabloj13
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Durham, NC

Quote:
All grain, with starters. Beers are black ipa and cream ale. Both with 1056. Both had vigorous fermentations initially. I recently switched to a spectrometer from a hydrometer. I calibrated it. Could it be off? Never had a problem before.
A refractometer? Are you correcting for alcohol in the beer?

Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 06-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
Kluxen
Recipes 

Nov 2011

Yeah, one of those things. How do I correct for alcohol?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #6
pabloj13
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Durham, NC

Quote:
Yeah, one of those things. How do I correct for alcohol?
Try an online calculator like this one.

You have to correct for the presence of alcohol in solution. I bet your beers finished just fine.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Kluxen
Recipes 

Nov 2011

I'm a little confused, because my refractometer reads both brix and grav. My og was 1.049 and my fg is 1.024 for the cream ale. That is not fully fermented. But if I go by brix and run it through the calculator you provided I am money. What am I missing.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #8
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 299 Times on 254 Posts

You go by brix and correct it to specific gravity with alcohol present. It measures refracted light so it doesn't matter what the scale is named it still needs to be corrected for alcohol.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

Old 06-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #9

The initial reading for Brix is correct. The SG next to it is a correct calculation. Once fermentation begins and alcohol is present, the SG readout is useless. So is the Brix reading unless you convert. You must know the original Brix reading. When you take a new reading you must then compensate for the presence of alcohol using a chart like the one mentioned above.

Example: Say your original Brix reading was 15. That's a SG of 1.062. Let's say your final reading is 8 Brix. If you don't convert, 8 Brix = 1.032. You would think your beer has stalled and must suck! But if you start with 15 Brix and finish with 8 Brix your finished gravity is actually 1.013...

Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Rochester, MN
Liked 41 Times on 34 Posts

Does it taste sweet? Forget math, use your senses, then see if the math matches. We get too hung up I. The tech and forget our own built in hydrometers.