HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Winners Drawn - 24 Hours to Claim!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Ends Today!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Malted Milk Powder

Old 06-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Ashnook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Malted Milk Powder

Greetings I am a novice beer/wine maker with two batches of beer and four batches of wine under my belt. I have been brewing wine lately as where I am currently staying I cannot find any malt. I came across some Malted Milk Powder and am wondering if I can use that as the base. As I am in love with milk stouts, the milk flavor would be a bonus. For a two gallon batch I was thinking of three or four pounds of malted milk powder with a pound of sugar added. I have not decided on the hops, although that is a secondary concern at the moment. My concern is whether or not the malted milk powder will suffice as a base malt. I may also steep oats for added body. Again though that is secondary to whether or not the malted milk powder will suffice.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Old 06-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 128

This is awesome. I would try it as long as there aren't weird ingredients in the powered milk. And I don't think powdered milk is a base for beer. This would not taste anywhere close to a milk stout. I have no idea what it would taste like. Couldn't be worse than my almond milk beer anyhow.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Check this out. Pretty much the same thing. If I remember right it didn't end pleasantly.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/i-am...altine-294176/