Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Spontaneously fermented juice?

Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Spontaneously fermented juice?

I was making a white grape peach wine a while back and when pouring in the 1/2 gallon bottles of Welches White grape peach juice in the carboy I found I had just a little too much. I had about 1/3rd of the last bottle of juice left. This juice did have about 1cup of sugar dissolved in it when the volume was at about 2/3rds full. I figured I would use this to top off after racking but was lazy and it got left and forgotten by the carboy with the cap firmly on it. Weeks later I went to check on the wine and after looking at this leftover juice it looked like the bottle was bowing out. I slowly opened the lid and a gush of CO2 come gasping out. It smelled a little sour and kind of like bad yogurt. That is a similar smell I have had with some ferments in the past. Now there are actual lees on the bottom of the bottle.

I have heard of people saying for a good hard apple cider you just put the bottle in a dark warm closet with a paper towel rubber band to the top and let it sit naturally. My father in law used to do this many years back. But I never really tried it or actually thought it could be done so easily. Does anyone have any experience with this spontaneous fermentation? Would the product I have be worth a sip at all? Would it be worth to be used to top off my wine if a bit low? Should I keep the lees, feed it & farm it to be used in other recopies and compare to normal wine yeasts? lol

Any thought are welcome
Happy brewing

Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6199 Times on 4414 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

I wouldn't use it to top off my wine. If it's contaminated by wild yeast and/or bacteria, you could easily lose the whole batch of wine. It might be drinkable- the only way to know is to try it and see!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I wouldn't use it to top off my wine.
That question was more for fun to see what others think. I am extremly questionable about this. But I thought it would be fun to see if there is anyone out there that has actual success with this methode.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6199 Times on 4414 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
That question was more for fun to see what others think. I am extremly questionable about this. But I thought it would be fun to see if there is anyone out there that has actual success with this methode.
I don't know about "success" but if you've ever left a gallon of milk or orange juice out on the counter overnight, you've experienced spontaneous fermentation. Sometimes it works ok, but most times not.

There are some areas where the wild yeast and bacteria cause good flavors, and some people have had success with fermentation there (Belgian Farmhouse Ales come to mind). But most often, wild yeast and bacteria are spoilage organisms. "Sours" can be made, but even then the fermentation tends to be because a particular organism was added like pediococcus or lactobacillus or brettanomyces. Wild fermentations are usually not going to give good results.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I agree with Yooper, probably not gonna be good.

Good cider would probably not be pasteurized so it would have the yeast from the apples on it. I've heard that they are more likely to be good yeast than spoilage organisms.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-27-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

OK fun stuff. I expected this response and am just more interested in the product from sheer curiosity of the science rather than wanting to drink the stuff. Funny thing is that since this has been capped. It is highly carbonated right now. Every little shake of the bottle has a mountain of bubbles from the small amount of liquid.

Conpewter: Good point about the natural yeasts normally on the apples rather than something that wandered in on the ride to bottling. That makes sence to me.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Still worth tasting unless you can't get past the smell, could be good I once had a gallon of milk actually curd up and seemed to turn into cheese accidentally (Ok... i didn't actually taste it, but it smelled good) so there's always a chance

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-27-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
cyberlord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've got an spontaneous ferment of apple juice that I bottled a while ago. Deciding if I should let it age or try it now. It didn't smell too bad so I let it rid under airlock. It's carbed now and in the fridge. :/

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:54 AM   #9
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlord View Post
I've got an spontaneous ferment of apple juice that I bottled a while ago. Deciding if I should let it age or try it now. It didn't smell too bad so I let it rid under airlock. It's carbed now and in the fridge. :/

Let us know how it turns out.
ok will let you know. It is about 22 days old now so I will let her go another couple of weeks, rack and once clear try it out.
It would be funny if it competes with the actual grape peach wine I spent time and technique on.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:12 AM   #10
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

In a thread just below this one now I was told to give my spontaneously fermented juice a try. It smelled of alcohol in a very raw nature. So not real pleasant on the nose but still smelled of just a strong alcohol. I took a small steal with my wine theif and ......... OMG! This has to be the absolute best wine I have ever..... And I mean ever had! It is fruity, easy on the pallet with only a background taste of alcohol. Sooooo good. I then became curious and had to try a sip of my white grape peach wine that was the cause of this accidental wine. It was much much dryer and I am sad to say that I like the accidental one better lol. The latter wine still needs to be racked and back sweetened so it has hope. But OMG who would have thought this bastard of a wine would taste so good.