Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First Wort Hopping

Old 06-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #31
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I would just add the hops when you pull the steeped grains out. I'm assuming it still takes you a few minutes to get the boil going after that point, right? The idea is to have the hops in for longer than just the 60 minutes or whtaever the boil time is, and to have them in at a slightly lower initial temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #32
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 437 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I would just add the hops when you pull the steeped grains out. I'm assuming it still takes you a few minutes to get the boil going after that point, right? The idea is to have the hops in for longer than just the 60 minutes or whtaever the boil time is, and to have them in at a slightly lower initial temp
I brew outside and steep at between 145-150. So to go from that to over 200 it'll take a little time, but not as much time as it takes to transfer to the boil kettle for you all grain guys.

Let me ask it a different way. What temperature is your wort when you transfer it to the kettle, and how long does it take?

Another thought comes to mine, since I will get better hop utilization from my FWH due to having a lower gravity wort, should I cut back the FWH amount?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #33
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 356

My wort is usually between 140-165f before I start to heat it up.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #34
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
I brew outside and steep at between 145-150. So to go from that to over 200 it'll take a little time, but not as much time as it takes to transfer to the boil kettle for you all grain guys.

Let me ask it a different way. What temperature is your wort when you transfer it to the kettle, and how long does it take?

Another thought comes to mine, since I will get better hop utilization from my FWH due to having a lower gravity wort, should I cut back the FWH amount?
Perhaps a little, but I never do. The smoothing out of the bitterness takes care of any additional bitterness, of course my gravity is much higher. You could experiment with reducing it a little. My formulas say roughly 10% difference in utilization between a "just higher than water" gravity (1.005) and a 1.047 gravity at time of FWH.

I run my first wort off into BK and start heating immediately. By the time the second runnings finish going into the kettle I add the hops. At this point the temperature is about 180 I'd estimate. It takes me about 10-15 minutes to get to a boil from there.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #35
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir

I usually FWH at around 150F or a little higher, and I'm boiling maybe 20 min later. Not sure you go much quicker than that....

As for compensating amounts, you'll probably have to experiment a little b/c everyone's system is different. I'd cut maybe 10% for starters.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #36
tre9er
Recipes 

Just to clarify, not sure if I'm doing true FWH because I add the hops once all of my wort is in the kettle, but before the boil has started (wort temp in the 170-180 range)

Quote:

Old 06-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #37
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
I usually FWH at around 150F or a little higher, and I'm boiling maybe 20 min later. Not sure you go much quicker than that....

As for compensating amounts, you'll probably have to experiment a little b/c everyone's system is different. I'd cut maybe 10% for starters.
are you literally adding to the first runnings or are you waiting until all runoff is in kettle like I do? Just curious.

Quote:

Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #38
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 356

I throw my FWH in a dry kettle.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #39
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Actually, that's not my experience at all. It gives a bit more bitterness (IBUs), but in a very smooth bitterness way. It's not at all comparable to a 20 minute IBU addition.
I agree with yooper, it is not like a 20 minute addition. I use it in place of all my 60 minute additions and even in my IPA recipes still with a good bitterness. It does make it smoother though.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #40
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Anyone find that certain hop types are better to use as FWH than others?