Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Belgian Pils, German Pils or Belgian pale?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Belgian Pils, German Pils or Belgian pale?

Hello, having received a grain mill for father's day, I plan on ordering some bulk grain as soon as I finish cutting my fingers to shreds fashioning a hopper out of sheet metal. I primarily brew Wits and Kolschs in the summer and am seeking opinions on whether I can cover both styles well with a single sack of malt. I am leaning toward a sack of Belgian Pils, and maybe just mashing a bit higher for the Kolschs. Any thoughts?

Old 06-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Any continental pils will suit you well. German or Belgian. Go with whatever brand you've used and like in the past. That's a great gift!

EDIT: on second thought, I'd go with German Pils. The Koelsch is a much more subtle beer, showcasing the malt more than the wit. Subtle differences in the malt would likely be more evident in the koelsch than the wit. Hope that helps.
Kegged: BOSON on Rhubarb, Dry-Hopped Sour Brown (ECY01), Ginger Strawberry, IPA, DIPA Primary: 10G BoPils (WLP802, S23) Souring: None On Deck: TBD On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Atrial Rubicite clone (ECY20), Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2015/08/06
Untappd: barrooze