National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > UK tax laws allow the sale of hb cider but not beer
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
silverbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 171
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default UK tax laws allow the sale of hb cider but not beer

Here in the UK, if I make home brew cider I can make up to 70 hectolitres (1539 imperial gallons or 1846 US gallons) per year, and sell it to whoever I like, without any liability for exise duty whatsoever. I might have to tell them, and pass food hygiene laws, but what the heck......

If I make beer I cannot sell a single drop, or even give it to my mates without breaking the law...I cannot exchange one of my pints with someone elses either, because that counts as bartering.....how STUPID is that.

Even tasting someone's home brew at a show is technically breaking the law.

Why and when did some UK dip **** politition decide to give small cider makers a sensible exemption like that and then leave the home brew beer guys up the creek without a paddle?

Does anyone on here know how this state of affairs came about?

Does anyone on here know how this state of affairs came to exist?
__________________
Blessed are the "cracked", for it is they who let in the light.
silverbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,887
Liked 231 Times on 193 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbrewer View Post
Here in the UK, if I make home brew cider I can make up to 70 hectolitres (1539 imperial gallons or 1846 US gallons) per year, and sell it to whoever I like, without any liability for exise duty whatsoever. I might have to tell them, and pass food hygiene laws, but what the heck......

If I make beer I cannot sell a single drop, or even give it to my mates without breaking the law...I cannot exchange one of my pints with someone elses either, because that counts as bartering.....how STUPID is that.

Even tasting someone's home brew at a show is technically breaking the law.

Why and when did some UK dip **** politition decide to give small cider makers a sensible exemption like that and then leave the home brew beer guys up the creek without a paddle?

Does anyone on here know how this state of affairs came about?

Does anyone on here know how this state of affairs came to exist?
Small batch cider producers probably lobbied for an exception.
ReverseApacheMaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
TheDudeLebowski
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mass
Posts: 1,296
Liked 146 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

We had the same problem with your tea a couple of years back.
TheDudeLebowski is offline
motobrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,819
Liked 151 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeLebowski View Post
We had the same problem with your tea a couple of years back.
LOL!!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
Misplaced_Canuck is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Thiensville, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,305
Liked 316 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 444

Default

i was just looking at that this morning.

http://www.ukcider.co.uk/wiki/index...._making_issues
__________________
Quote:
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894
motobrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
silverbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 171
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Bloody long memory you Bostonians
__________________
Blessed are the "cracked", for it is they who let in the light.
silverbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Thiensville, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,305
Liked 316 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 444

Default

hey, don't lump us all in with that sh*thole!
__________________
Quote:
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894
motobrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
LeBreton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Finger Lakes, NY
Posts: 1,116
Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Small batch cider producers probably lobbied for an exception.
or large beer producers lobbied against such exemptions for beer . . .

Either way OP, sounds like it's time to swap your brew kettle for an apple scratter!
__________________
In all the states no door stands wider,
To ask you in to drink hard cider
LeBreton is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
dfc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dfc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 3,088
Liked 212 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Default

If it makes you feel better we're forced to purchase health care. Next we'll be forced to buy one type of car or a specific type of food.
__________________
Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process
dfc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 51,075
Liked 5573 Times on 4913 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
If it makes you feel better we're forced to purchase health care. Next we'll be forced to buy one type of car or a specific type of food.
Government Cheese FTW, and cholesterol pills are not covered.
GilaMinumBeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Man laws Hammy71 General Chit Chat 1 04-22-2012 10:33 PM
What are beer laws and beer selection like where you're from? jaycount General Chit Chat 50 04-06-2011 09:43 PM
Pharmacy Laws Challenger440 General Chit Chat 16 01-17-2010 04:13 AM
HBT Laws Loweface General Chit Chat 11 07-15-2008 04:30 PM
Strange Alcohol Laws Hopfan General Chit Chat 35 01-29-2007 06:10 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS