Belgian white wheat beer - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Belgian white wheat beer

Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
reed1099
Recipes 

Apr 2012
browns mills, new jersey
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had a question for everyone. Tonight I brewed a Belgian white wheat beer. I added 1/2 oz coriander and 1/2 oz bitter orange peel to the last 15 minutes of my boil. My concern was the orange peel didn't fit through the valve into my fermenter so it was added into the boil but not the fermenter. Is that enough or should I have added more to the fermenter after the boil? I did a similar brew in the past and only added it to the boil like this time and I didn't get much citrus flavor. It was a bitter orange peel this time by the way. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

You do not want it in the fermenter. Long term contact will make that beer way too orange-y. The boil was the right place to go.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
reed1099
Recipes 

Apr 2012
browns mills, new jersey
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster
You do not want it in the fermenter. Long term contact will make that beer way too orange-y. The boil was the right place to go.
Great, I should be on the right track then. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 993 Times on 721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
+1 to what RAM said. i made the mistake on one of my early brews of adding peel to primary fermentation. turned out too orange-y and peel-y, would have been better without it (still turned out good, but would likely have been even gooder without the peel in primary).

if you're really worried about how much orange you get in there, you could always add some after primary fermentation is over. regular tastings will give you an idea of how much additional "orangeness" you're adding, and you can rack/bottle/secondary/etc as soon as you've reached enough orange flavor.
- Drinking: English Barleywine (half on brett), local sour cherry kriek #2, sour blond on second-use cherries, 3726 + dregs mega-mix sour, Bugz n' Critters sour.
- Aging: 3726 saison w/ Lochristi, GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 06-26-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
basilchef
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Boston, massachusettes
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

just brewed a wit too. if you do want to add it later you can "dry hop" it with orange peels/ zest soaked in vodka.