Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Sour Apple Cider

Old 06-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
GDRMaille
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sour Apple Cider

I have 4gal of basic cider ready to bottle. I plan on using juice concentrate and a caramelized white/brown sugar mix for priming/back sweetening. I want to add sour apple pucker to a batch of 12 bottles as an experiment in the hopes of making the cider taste like those caramel apple lollipops. How much should I add to each bottle? Is a standard "shot" a good amount?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
Alcoholalchemy
Recipes 

Randy Mosher gives some formulas for this sort of thing in Radical Brewing (page 155). You would have to account for both the sugar and the alcohol in the pucker. Just adjust your priming sugar accordingly when you calculate how much sugar you're adding with the pucker.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
GDRMaille
Recipes 

I will have to search around for a good price, the website certainly made the book intriguing! Any free calculators on the web?

Old 06-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #4
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have found that 1.5 teaspoons of Malic Acid per gallon of cider gives a nice sour apple flavor.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
GDRMaille
Recipes 

Mike, thanks for the idea. I am going for a theme on this one (putting it in green bottles), so I'd like to stay with the sour apple pucker liquor as the flavoring. I guess the low response rate is due to lack of experience on this?

Old 06-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
CRock303
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I made my first cider using juice form Granny Smiths and there is a nice sour finish to it. I know this doesn't help you out right now but if you want to make another sour cider I'd start there.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #7
GDRMaille
Recipes 

Well, I jumped in and took the risk! Ended up using one shot per bottle. We'll see how they shape up in a month our so.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:17 AM   #8
Swifty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Carbing with rum is discussed quite a bit in this thread. Sadly, I have all the components sitting on a shelf and haven't found time to brew this but it sure does sound glorious: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/bana...lweizen-68743/

Old 07-03-2012, 03:03 AM   #9
GDRMaille
Recipes 

Swift, thanks! I saved the calculation from that thread for future use.