Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Glass Carboy for primary?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Justintoxicated
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Glass Carboy for primary?

My Friend has suggested that since I'm buying more decently expensive stuff to start out that I may as well purchase a 6 gallon glass carboy to use for my primary (5 gallons for secondary). This is so I can put a thermometer inside the carboy itself while it is fermenting in a chest cooler to get the actual fermentation temperatures, and because glass is just better anyways?

Just thought I would get some other opinions to validate my purchase

Old 06-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You can. But no need to. 6.5 gallon Buckets are cheaper, and they don't explode and send brewers to the ER when bumped wrong.

I try to only use glass when aging.

Nothing saying you can't, but you can use that money saved on other items. Also, sometimes 6 gallons isn't enough head space for a brew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
amandabab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Carboys are all I use(except for must buckets).
I find them easier to clean and I don't have to mess with lids.

eventually you collect multiples of the whole set. 3, 5, 6, 6.5, 8.9(DJ), 15(DJ)
6 gallon works great for a 5gallon batch primary.