Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wort too cold before adding yeast!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
josephvaldes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wort too cold before adding yeast!

I just picked back up brewing after a couple of years and just made a Belgian Ale today. After the wort was done I put 14Lbs of bagged ice and chilled water to help with the chill time of the wart and the temperature ended up a very low 55 F. I had to boil a little water to get the temp up to 67 before I added the water based yeast, I know that the extra water I put into the wort will affect the beer, but will the low temperature have a negative effect on the fermentation process?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
jetmac
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvaldes View Post
I just picked back up brewing after a couple of years and just made a Belgian Ale today. After the wort was done I put 14Lbs of bagged ice and chilled water to help with the chill time of the wart and the temperature ended up a very low 55 F. I had to boil a little water to get the temp up to 67 before I added the water based yeast, I know that the extra water I put into the wort will affect the beer, but will the low temperature have a negative effect on the fermentation process?
I typically shoot for 68F. 67 is right there. The main thing is keeping the temperature stable. Any fluctuations in the first few days can have adverse effects.

In addition, since it was quite some time before you pitched, it is a good idea to aerate prior to pitching.

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Captain Damage
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You really didn't need to raise the temperature. Pitching at 55F won't hurt the yeast, and the beer will warm up to ambient/fermenting temperature on it's own over the next day or so. I deliberately pitch low - usually around mid 50s-60F. And here's the thing: it doesn't even slow the start of fermentation down! Additionally, it's probably improving the beer. Most ester production occurs during the growth/lag phase of fermentation. By starting the fermentation at a cooler temperature, you're helping to limit ester production.

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale