Autosiphon didnt work, beer got airiated.... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Autosiphon didnt work, beer got airiated....

Old 06-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
MilwaukeeGoiter
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think I ruined this batch... Somehow the Auto-siphon didn't work, I think I used a different tube to attach to it that didn't fit snugly so I couldnt create a total seal to maintain the siphon. So instead of finding the other tube I manually pumped it into my cornie. There were a good deal of bubbles in the tube. Has anyone else had this issue in the past?

Old 06-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
advogold
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Its probably fine if its got the tiny bubbles.. Not ideal but definitely not ruined. I did that with my siphon thought it was broke till I put tighter hose on it. Lol

Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Bithead
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Southern, NJ
Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I've done the same with a couple batches. They turned out fine. I'm sure your will be delicious also.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL
Liked 384 Times on 279 Posts

Next time, try pouring some sanitized water on top of your plunger. It makes a great seal, no bubbles in. If a few drops of water seep in, no harm.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
thetragichero
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Palm Bay, FL
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

had this happen, caused me to have to buy another autosiphon as the first one did not make it through the flight across the kitchen

Old 06-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
jonmohno
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Corn, High Fructose Corn Fortress, IA
Liked 417 Times on 367 Posts

Invest in a hose clamp?=cheap or the right size tubing?=cheaper. I had issues when i tried to filter hops while siphoning had lots of bubbles the few batches this happened with me still -turned out normal and fine.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Lancaster, CA
Liked 333 Times on 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad
Next time, try pouring some sanitized water on top of your plunger. It makes a great seal, no bubbles in. If a few drops of water seep in, no harm.
That's a good idea, I need to start doing that. I always have to pump the auto siphon a few times before I get a good flow. I should just pour a little star san solution into the top first.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL
Liked 384 Times on 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
That's a good idea, I need to start doing that. I always have to pump the auto siphon a few times before I get a good flow. I should just pour a little star san solution into the top first.
Yep. It's amazing the difference it makes. Autosiphons are awesome, but are notoriously leaky.