Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Help designing/getting parts list for automatic 2 vessel

Old 06-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Adeering
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Help designing/getting parts list for automatic 2 vessel

So Im deploying in a couple months and want to start making the plans for the new system I want to build when I get back. Currently Im using a single vessel 5 gal BIAB setup that works great, but want bigger batches and automation cause im a geek and like projects.

Here is the plan for the new system (Once I figure out exactly how to do it), I want a 2 vessel system capable of doing both 5 and 10 gal batches, all electric RIMS system capable of complete automation or manual brewing.

Here is what I know already, Want two 15 or 20g blichmanns one for a MT with a RIMS system and the boil kettle. Will have two pumps, one to circulate the mash through the RIMS and one for transfer from the MT to BK.

The parts Im not sure about, the automation part, the valves to turn direct the flow.

Something similar to this but without the HLT.

Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 06-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts

Hi

Since you are headed towards Blichmann already *and* have some time - wait and see what his automation solution looks like when it finally gets here.

Bob

Old 06-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
Adeering
Recipes 

Is Blichmann doing automation? or are you talking about theelectricbrewery.com?

as for blichmann, those are just the nicest kettles ive found, unless someone has a different solution for 20g kettles that have all those features and look nice (also while I love DIY im not comfortable doing metal work needed to install the holes)

Im gonna update later this week with the general layout and plan, Ive got the idea for everything non controlled/automated so ill need the most help with hardware/wiring diagrams for the control box

Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
jpalarchio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think Bob's referring to this: http://www.homebrewing.org/Blichmann...er_p_2830.html

Seems a bit on the pricey side for basically temperature control only.

--

As for the kettles, the Blichmanns are nice for sure and you're going to pay a premium on them. I have a 20g Blichmann and the quality is definitely there but it's a lot of coin too. I saw Brewers Hardware (http://www.brewershardware.com/) has some kettles now; I'd be curious how they compare as Derrin's stuff is usually nice. People seem to like the Stout Tanks stuff too although for me, they seemed just as pricey as the Blichmann when you started comparing features and shipping.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalarchio View Post
I think Bob's referring to this: http://www.homebrewing.org/Blichmann...er_p_2830.html

Seems a bit on the pricey side for basically temperature control only.

--

As for the kettles, the Blichmanns are nice for sure and you're going to pay a premium on them. I have a 20g Blichmann and the quality is definitely there but it's a lot of coin too. I saw Brewers Hardware (http://www.brewershardware.com/) has some kettles now; I'd be curious how they compare as Derrin's stuff is usually nice. People seem to like the Stout Tanks stuff too although for me, they seemed just as pricey as the Blichmann when you started comparing features and shipping.
That's a wild price for a temperature controller! My Aubers run $45 each. The sensors were $7-12, maybe twice that if you want a long probe for a bulkhead. I think the plastic enclosures were $12. I picked up ASCO valves for $5 each on eBay. Thermowells are about $25, or the same for a bulkhead. Even if you aren't as lucky you might spend $50 for an ASCO valve. Maybe if you really do not care about money, or can't or won't do it yourself, but otherwise that price just seems absurd. For that money I could have a BCS 460 and a lot of other stuff besides. Am I missing something here?

Here are the kettles that I bought: http://www.waresdirect.com/products/...l/100-Qt168817 I did not drill mine, but once again you can get an excellent step bit and a new drill before you're anywhere near the Blichmans. Midwest and Northern Brewer sell mash screens for these for about $100.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Adeering
Recipes 

You didnt put any link up for the kettles. The biggest thing for me is the dimensions (and maybe i also like the polished looked also) of the blichmann's, I like that they are skinnier and taller most 20g that I find are short and fat, which is more surface area than I want.

Also I thinking I might go with the 82qt Bayou Classic pots and install the weldless fittings myself. Not great with metal work but i should be able to drill a couple holes

Old 06-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

[QUOTE=jpalarchio;4199071]I think Bob's referring to this: http://www.homebrewing.org/Blichmann...er_p_2830.html

....QUOTE]

Hi

Yup, that's the stuff. Last time I looked he didn't have any pricing up on them. *IF* I understand the pricing correctly, there's a lot of stuff there past a simple controller. Still ain't cheap, but none of his stuff is.

Bob

Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
Adeering
Recipes 

Ok So got my system planned out with an initial parts list and idea. General concept is an electric Brutus 20 powered by a BCS-460. Going to have two 20 gal pots with 5500W elements in them and all the site guage, thermometers, false bottoms, etc needed. Will have two pumps to move water around.

Boil Kettle:
This will be a 20 gal stainless steel kettle (currently looking at the Concord ones on ebay but might spend the extra on Blichmann's) with a 5500W element, a 3 piece ball valce, center pickup, custom built hop stopper (planning a false bottomish screen above the element), site guage, whirlpool/input at top. This will be used to boil and also heat strike water at the end of the mash. Here is the parts list with general pricing:

Mash Tun:
Mash Tun will be a 20 gal stainless steel kettle with a 5500W element, a false bottom, 3 piece ball valve, site guage, Thermometer, and a whirlpool input as well. It will use a pump to recirculate during the mash and also transfer to the BK during the mash out. Here is the parts list for this:

Automation:
Plan is to have the control box be both manually controlled or done with a BCS-460. Will have everything plug in and wired similar to Kal's electric brewery with adaptations for my system. Thanks to Kal for his website and P-J for wiring diagrams and help. Here is the parts list as of now:

Havent decided on a stand yet and still working on a google sketchup of the design (im really bad at google sketchup). This is all planned to be purchased with the money im saving during my deployment and will be a present to myself for when I get back.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Hi

I'd plan on putting at least 50% more in the bank than you *think* it's going to cost before you start. Stuff happens and you don't want to get 90% of the way there and not be able to complete the build. Worst thing that can happen is you have a nice budget for buying a stock of grain and hops....

Bob

Old 07-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
OneHoppyGuy
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDogsNE View Post
That's a wild price for a temperature controller! My Aubers run $45 each. The sensors were $7-12, maybe twice that if you want a long probe for a bulkhead. I think the plastic enclosures were $12. I picked up ASCO valves for $5 each on eBay. Thermowells are about $25, or the same for a bulkhead. Even if you aren't as lucky you might spend $50 for an ASCO valve. Maybe if you really do not care about money, or can't or won't do it yourself, but otherwise that price just seems absurd. For that money I could have a BCS 460 and a lot of other stuff besides. Am I missing something here?...
Not trying to pick a fight... this is my opinion:
I actually priced out all the components including the stainless box and the more expensive PID used. Including labor the price is actually reasonable for a plug and play product. Building a unit to be generic is more challenging. The one factor that is often overlooked is the labor and other costs. Not everyone has the time or skills to build their own. I think the ToP is a good product. And I'm not a Blichmann fan.