Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Minifridge Fermentation Chamber

Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #21
crane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So after the hot humid summer I ran into mildew issues from condensation dripping off of the heat exchanger. I unplugged it and took the door off to dry it out. The hinges I used have a quick release so I can pop the door off really easy. I let it dry out and then cleaned all of the mildew stains with bleach water. I bought a 4x8 sheet of 1/16th inch poly board. I attached the poly board with liquid nails and then sealed the seams with silicone caulking. I had to take the drawer apart and cut it down to account for the extra thickness of the poly board on the walls. Here is the result.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2819727747.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	78530

I am also going to keep a thing of damp rid in there from now on to soak up any moisture. I am cursing myself for throwing away the drip tray that was in the original mini fridge. I may try to rig something up if I can find a plastic tray of some sort that is the correct dimensions.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #22
sablesurfer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Condensation....ahh....hmmm.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #23
crane
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablesurfer View Post
Condensation....ahh....hmmm.

Condensation has only been a problem when:

1. I had the chamber in the garage for a few months and it was the hottest part of the summer getting above 100F everyday out there.
2. I drop temps into the 30s over a few weeks for lagering.

So it really comes down to the fact that the larger the difference between ambient temp and chamber temp the more condensation will be produced.

However, I now use damp rid in there all the time and I have no condensation issues but do have to dump it out and refill it every couple of months. I saw another guy on here using some reusable evadry devices that you plug into an electrical outlet to dry them out after they saturate. I haven't gotten around to buying any yet but I would like to go that route.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #24
sablesurfer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Those are listed on home brew finds, looked at them a couple times.

First on on the page as of 2/12/14.
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/p/top-finds.html

Old 09-01-2014, 01:20 AM   #25
Btaz
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have a condensation problem with my fermentation chamber too.. I have an Eva dry inside, but the chill plate is still producing water droplets.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #26
crane
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btaz View Post
I have a condensation problem with my fermentation chamber too.. I have an Eva dry inside, but the chill plate is still producing water droplets.
It's been unusually humid here in San Diego lately and I have had condensation on the cold plate as well but with the damp rid in there I am no longer getting puddles on water on the floor and don't have any mildew issues. As long as the condensation is just on the cold plate you should be fine from my experience at least.