Minifridge Fermentation Chamber - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Minifridge Fermentation Chamber

Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #21
crane
Recipes 

Sep 2011
San Diego, CA
Liked 77 Times on 64 Posts

So after the hot humid summer I ran into mildew issues from condensation dripping off of the heat exchanger. I unplugged it and took the door off to dry it out. The hinges I used have a quick release so I can pop the door off really easy. I let it dry out and then cleaned all of the mildew stains with bleach water. I bought a 4x8 sheet of 1/16th inch poly board. I attached the poly board with liquid nails and then sealed the seams with silicone caulking. I had to take the drawer apart and cut it down to account for the extra thickness of the poly board on the walls. Here is the result.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2819727747.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	78530

I am also going to keep a thing of damp rid in there from now on to soak up any moisture. I am cursing myself for throwing away the drip tray that was in the original mini fridge. I may try to rig something up if I can find a plastic tray of some sort that is the correct dimensions.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #22
sablesurfer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2013
Liked 301 Times on 195 Posts

Condensation....ahh....hmmm.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #23
crane
Recipes 

Sep 2011
San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablesurfer View Post
Condensation....ahh....hmmm.

Condensation has only been a problem when:

1. I had the chamber in the garage for a few months and it was the hottest part of the summer getting above 100F everyday out there.
2. I drop temps into the 30s over a few weeks for lagering.

So it really comes down to the fact that the larger the difference between ambient temp and chamber temp the more condensation will be produced.

However, I now use damp rid in there all the time and I have no condensation issues but do have to dump it out and refill it every couple of months. I saw another guy on here using some reusable evadry devices that you plug into an electrical outlet to dry them out after they saturate. I haven't gotten around to buying any yet but I would like to go that route.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #24
sablesurfer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2013
Liked 301 Times on 195 Posts

Those are listed on home brew finds, looked at them a couple times.

First on on the page as of 2/12/14.
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/p/top-finds.html

Old 09-01-2014, 01:20 AM   #25
Btaz
Recipes 

May 2012
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I have a condensation problem with my fermentation chamber too.. I have an Eva dry inside, but the chill plate is still producing water droplets.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #26
crane
Recipes 

Sep 2011
San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btaz View Post
I have a condensation problem with my fermentation chamber too.. I have an Eva dry inside, but the chill plate is still producing water droplets.
It's been unusually humid here in San Diego lately and I have had condensation on the cold plate as well but with the damp rid in there I am no longer getting puddles on water on the floor and don't have any mildew issues. As long as the condensation is just on the cold plate you should be fine from my experience at least.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #27
chessking
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Aurora, Co
Liked 115 Times on 78 Posts

Old thread, I know, but I was wondering how the chamber has held up. I am thinking of a similar setup.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #28
crane
Recipes 

Sep 2011
San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessking View Post
Old thread, I know, but I was wondering how the chamber has held up. I am thinking of a similar setup.
It's still going strong without any issues after 4 years of use. I've had a month or 2 here and there each year where it sits unused, but the majority of the time it's had fermenting beer in it. It can still get into the low 30s for lagering, although I don't use it for lagering as much as I did in the past now that I have another larger fridge in the garage for cold conditioning/lagering.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #29
Mountainsax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2014
Durango, COLORADO
Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts

Crane, great build! I have been thinking of something just like this and am definitely going to use your drawings and steal you design. Thanks for the pictures and detailed documentation!!!
On Deck: IPA??
Fermenting: Belgian Wit
On Tap: Spiced Nut Brown, Kolsch

Old 01-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #30
crane
Recipes 

Sep 2011
San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsax View Post
Crane, great build! I have been thinking of something just like this and am definitely going to use your drawings and steal you design. Thanks for the pictures and detailed documentation!!!
Glad you find this helpful. Let me know how it turns out