Is the Bayou Classic KAB6 Too Much For A 5 Gallon Kettle? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is the Bayou Classic KAB6 Too Much For A 5 Gallon Kettle?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
craft_beer_fan
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Ames, IA
Posts: 32
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrain
I've been thinking of upgrading to a banjo burner as well even though I currently only have a 5 gallon pot. On the stove, I can safely boil 4 gallons.

We're you able to dial this down enough?
Not sure yet, I haven't tried it yet. I will post the results. :-)



 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
dfaridoni
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Hanford, Ca
Posts: 75

I use this for a five gallon pot and have no problems on the boil. I run into problems steeping specialty grains though. Once I get to temp it will flame out when I reduce the flow to keep it at about 155. Other than it works fine. Does go thru a lot of propane. I get about 3.5 batches per tank.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
craft_beer_fan
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Ames, IA
Posts: 32
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dfaridoni
I use this for a five gallon pot and have no problems on the boil. I run into problems steeping specialty grains though. Once I get to temp it will flame out when I reduce the flow to keep it at about 155. Other than it works fine. Does go thru a lot of propane. I get about 3.5 batches per tank.
Excellent! Thank you for posting. I wondered about that as far as steeping goes....do you have a flame out because of the wind and that low of throttle on the regulator? Would an additional shield from wind help?

For my next brew (Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA Clone) I plan on doing a partial mash so will probably just kill the flame and insulate the pot once to mashing temp. Looking forward to using this burner as opposed to the kitchen gas range which is only about 7000 BTUs I believe.

Again, thanks for the info and posting! Cheers!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
kscarrington
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 584
Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts


Overkill?

Are you serious?

That's like asking "do her boobs look too big"?

Enjoy the upgrade!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_beer_fan
My kettle and new burner.....overkill?

StanJohnson Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
dfaridoni
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Hanford, Ca
Posts: 75

I get flame out because I can't regulate the burner to keep a constant temp at 150-155. I let it go up to about 160 then kill it until it gets back down to 150, relight and finish steeping and then up to boil. It's not the breeze it's the low flow for that temp. I have fabricated a wind shield for it from flashing and it works well. Also, I never had a problem with scorching or flames running up the sides of the kettle (mine's a 12 inch diameter as well). I plan on getting a 10 gallon so this was the way to go, especially at $55 from homebrew heaven

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #16
craft_beer_fan
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Ames, IA
Posts: 32
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrington
Overkill?

Are you serious?

That's like asking "do her boobs look too big"?

Enjoy the upgrade!!
LOL.....okay, ya got me. :-)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
craft_beer_fan
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Ames, IA
Posts: 32
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dfaridoni
I get flame out because I can't regulate the burner to keep a constant temp at 150-155. I let it go up to about 160 then kill it until it gets back down to 150, relight and finish steeping and then up to boil. It's not the breeze it's the low flow for that temp. I have fabricated a wind shield for it from flashing and it works well. Also, I never had a problem with scorching or flames running up the sides of the kettle (mine's a 12 inch diameter as well). I plan on getting a 10 gallon so this was the way to go, especially at $55 from homebrew heaven
Cool. I will see if mine will hold around 155, if not, maybe i will steep on my kitchen stove and then move the kettle outside for the boil. :-)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:39 AM   #18
craft_beer_fan
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Ames, IA
Posts: 32
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts


Took 15 minutes to reach typical steeping temp of 155 F from ice cold tap water. I didn't have the regulator wide open since I was losing heat off the sides since I only have a 5 gallon kettle on top of this monster burner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120624_213655.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	66300

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:16 AM   #19
craft_beer_fan
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Ames, IA
Posts: 32
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuE_E...ature=youtu.be

New burner in action!



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally got it working (bayou classic) dpalme Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 05-27-2012 03:36 AM
Help with new Bayou Classic SP10 - Not burning very hot jgkelley Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 05-10-2011 04:04 PM
Bayou Classic SP10 on sale phatuna Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 04-06-2010 09:29 PM
Has anyone used Bayou Classic equipment? impatient Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 12-23-2009 02:24 AM
Bayou Classic Stock Pot As A Brew Kettle??? 67bluemustang Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 06-09-2009 04:00 AM


Forum Jump