Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > my first brew

Old 06-24-2012, 03:29 AM   #1
reynoltm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default my first brew

Today I brewed my first cream ale. So basically I put the boiled wort into the ferm bucket and tried to cool it that way, which trying to cool 5 gals in a plastic tube is a lot harder then 3 gal in the pot. Took almost 1 hour to cool the wiry to 75 degrees. Well this effect the outcome of my brew

Old 06-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Naaaah. You will be fine. Congrats on the first brew! Trust me, after its done fermenting and conditioning in the bottle, you will love it.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
basilchef
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

shouldn't be noticeable. The benefits of cooling and pitching as soon as you can, are that it gives less time for the nasties (infection, off flavor's) to set in. its all good. -cheers

Old 06-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1026

you can pour back and forth from the bucket to the kettle in the future. This will speed cooling and aerate the wort all at the same time. I see an immersion chiller in your future though.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
reynoltm
Recipes 

It also took a longer time to boil than I expected. How long after you add the maltose and extract when you just say **** it and start the timer for the 60minute boil. Say after you add the extract 25 minutes later its not boiling can you just start the timer. It eventually came to a boil. I waited by the way. But I figured the cooking time of the wort extended way passed the time required.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
gmcastil
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
you can pour back and forth from the bucket to the kettle in the future. This will speed cooling and aerate the wort all at the same time. I see an immersion chiller in your future though.
Do not do this. There is a lot of debate on whether its real or not, but hot-side aeration is generally regarded as a bad thing.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
KPSquared
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoltm
It also took a longer time to boil than I expected. How long after you add the maltose and extract when you just say **** it and start the timer for the 60minute boil. Say after you add the extract 25 minutes later its not boiling can you just start the timer. It eventually came to a boil. I waited by the way. But I figured the cooking time of the wort extended way passed the time required.
I start the timer when I get a full, rolling boil. Throw the 60 min hops in and wait. . . Don't think the longer wait will hurt anything. Just be careful. . .you can drink enough beer during a 60 min boil to really cock up the rest of the procedure. Hard to pick up and shake a carboy if you're half in the bag. . .

Old 06-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcastil View Post
Do not do this. There is a lot of debate on whether its real or not, but hot-side aeration is generally regarded as a bad thing.
Without getting into the boogeyman debate (I bet my mortgage you can't show me an example of an HSA affected beer), I assumed the OP didn't transfer boiling wort into a plastic bucket and it had already been cooled quite a bit before this happened. He complained that it took longer to cool then in his kettle, and if it was cool enough to transfer to plastic, it was cool enough to transfer back into his kettle to speed the cooling.

smh, the boogeyman isn't real, but nevertheless he's damaged my ego. LOL!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPSquared View Post
I start the timer when I get a full, rolling boil. Throw the 60 min hops in and wait. . . Don't think the longer wait will hurt anything. Just be careful. . .you can drink enough beer during a 60 min boil to really cock up the rest of the procedure. Hard to pick up and shake a carboy if you're half in the bag. . .
In an attempt to restore my HSA affected credibility, I'll contribute this suggestion: Boil the water first. Turn the heat off, stir in your extract, then bring back to a boil and start your timer. You can also add much of the extract later in the boil to avoid the maillard reaction, which, unlike HSA is a very real phenomenon.

(it means that long boils of extract will come out darker then you anticipated!)

Old 06-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Yeah, I always suck it up and wait for a boil before starting the timer. And I usually only put a small amount of DME in just before I think it is going to boil, that way I dont have to shut it off and wait for it to re heat. I add 80% of both LME and DME either at 10 minutes left, or if its only LME, after flameout.