Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Banjo Burner Problem

Old 06-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
bambrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Banjo Burner Problem

Just bought a banjo burner with stand but without regulator. I hooked up my 30 psi regulator I had bought from bayou classic a while back and when I light it its a big wimpy orange flame, not the strong blue flame I am looking for. The air adjustment doesn't seem to change the flame much at all. Any ideas?

Old 06-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
Theis
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I sometimes have problem with my regulator similar to the one you describe. I turn off the main propane valve. Close the needle valve on the regulator. Then I open the main propane valve slowly, once it is open then I slowly turn the needle valve open and start the flame. It seems like if you hit it all at once there must be some safety that engages and limits flow.

Best wishes.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
Dunerunner
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Exactly...It isn't the regulator, it is the newer, (we don't want you to blow yourself up) propane bottles. Do what Theis said and you should have no issues.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
ThreeBrothersBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yep, had the same problem and same solution to make it work.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #5
BeerLoverHere
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Happened to me on my first brew with the burner too. After getting frustrated and giving up, I tried again the next day and it has worked perfectly since.
drop6301 Likes This 
Old 06-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
bambrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. Pardon my ignorance, but can anyone tell me what size threads the orifice has on a banjo burner. I bought my burner from a flea market and I'm not sure if its an actual banjo burner. On mine, the threads for the orifice are a bigger size than the standard turkey fryer type burners. I have ordered a 5235 orifice off of the bayou website but I'm worried it might not fit.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
tmac2050
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theis
I sometimes have problem with my regulator similar to the one you describe. I turn off the main propane valve. Close the needle valve on the regulator. Then I open the main propane valve slowly, once it is open then I slowly turn the needle valve open and start the flame. It seems like if you hit it all at once there must be some safety that engages and limits flow.

Best wishes.
A belated thank you for this response. I had the same thing happen while brewing last night - could not get a big flame, and opening the regulator wide open had no effect. I did a search on my smart phone while brewing in the garage and found this answer.
I tried those steps and was off and boiling in no time. HBT win (again).

Bottled: Shigeru Ban Brown (Ext); SteamPunk IPA (AG); Ugly Belgian Houses (Ext);