Citrapist IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelsBrewing

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 500
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 63F
Tasting Notes
Tropical fruit right up front from the Belgian Yeast and Citra hops. Notes of pineapp
Mashed 90min @ 152F
Batch Sparge

6lbs – UK 2-Row (Pearl)
6lbs – US 2-Row
1lbs – Crystal 20L
8oz – Munich
8oz – Vienna

1oz – Citra @ 60min
1oz - Citra @ 45min
.5oz – Citra @ 30min
.5oz – Citra @ 15min
.5oz – Citra @ 10min
.5oz – Citra @ 5min
1oz – Citra Dry Hop 7 days

Yeast was WLP 500 Trappist

My O.G. was 1.066
My F.G. was 1.010
ABV = 7.23%

Taste Notes: Tropical fruit right up front from the Belgian Yeast and Citra hops. Notes of pineapple, mango, and lime bounce around the palate with peach as it fades. The Pearl malt and crystal seems to add balance against the clove, lilac and black pepper Belgian-influenced taste. I also get papayas, cloves, mangoes, allspice, pineapple, peppercorns, apples, mint, and orange.

This was my inspiration: http://aleasylum.com/bedlam/

The first pic below is of Bedlam (Left) and Citrapist (Right) As you can see they look exactly alike... also I put three additional pictures of the Citrapist...

Cheers!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

This is the email I recieved from the owner of Ale Asylum in regard to the Bedlam recipe..... If I hear back from Dean the brewmaster I'll update.

"Christopher,

Now THAT is quite a walk you did! We are still in our current digs until sometime in August. In fact, Dean is on a field trip checking out our new brew house as I type.

Thank you so much for your feedback on Bedlam and for sharing your recipe. I have forwarded it off to Dean whom you guessed is knee deep with our expansion efforts. He always loves discussing beer with home brewers like yourself so he'll hopefully respond.

Next time you're in town toss us an email and we'll buy you guys a pint.

Cheers,

Bandit"

How did your version stack up against Bedlam? Especially curious to hear the IBUs/hop character similarity. If you had to do it again would you change anything about your hop schedule?

I just had it last month for the first time and its mighty tough to come across folks who have cloned and brewed it. I cultured the yeast from a bottle of Bedlam (first time doing that!) so I have high hopes.

The version stacked up pretty well IMO. Remember, my beer was much more bright, crisp, and aromatic versus the Bedlam because I had it since April. Also, I am not sure how long it was in the bottle prior to Aprill. I think mine was much better only because it was so fresh; The Hop character is should be spot on but again the freshness factor really bothers me. So, I really need a fresh bedlam bottle to put against mine to really know if it's cloned.... or I need Dean to write me....... =)

If you make it, let me know what you think.

Also, please keep me posted on your efforts!

Cheers!

Well my version is ready to drink, I compared it head-to-head with Bedlam.

7 lbs light DME, 1 lb corn sugar, 11 oz biscuit, 8 oz carapils. Actually ended up being 6 lbs DME because during cleanup I found a 1 lb bag of DME sitting under my recipe sheet...pretty frustrated with that.

Hop schedule:

1 oz Columbus 60 Min

0.5 Citra 20 Min

0.5 Citra 15 Min

1 oz Citra 10 Min

1 oz Citra 5 Min

2 oz Citra Dry Hop (7 days)

Definitely over the top on hops, I like your hop schedule much better. I think for the next version I'll cut down the 5 minute addition to 1/2 ounce and only do 1/2 ounce dry hop. Too much citra character in your face in my version, the commercial version is much more balanced and smooth. Color and body were pretty close, I'll be adding a bit of caramel 80 or 120 to the next version though.

goblueM said:
Well my version is ready to drink, I compared it head-to-head with Bedlam.

7 lbs light DME, 1 lb corn sugar, 11 oz biscuit, 8 oz carapils. Actually ended up being 6 lbs DME because during cleanup I found a 1 lb bag of DME sitting under my recipe sheet...pretty frustrated with that.

Hop schedule:

1 oz Columbus 60 Min

0.5 Citra 20 Min

0.5 Citra 15 Min

1 oz Citra 10 Min

1 oz Citra 5 Min

2 oz Citra Dry Hop (7 days)

Definitely over the top on hops, I like your hop schedule much better. I think for the next version I'll cut down the 5 minute addition to 1/2 ounce and only do 1/2 ounce dry hop. Too much citra character in your face in my version, the commercial version is much more balanced and smooth. Color and body were pretty close, I'll be adding a bit of caramel 80 or 120 to the next version though.

Hi.

Thanks for the feedback. I think mine is more bright as I imagine mine is what a fresh pint of Bedlam would taste like. I wish Dean would write me for closure but oh well.

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing this! I'm not a really a fan of Belgians but love Bedlam IPA. Going to brew this for my first Belgian style. What wyeast or a dry yeast would you recommend for this? It seems like the LHBS in Madison and Janesville (Farmhouse BS) only have wyeast and dry.

if you love Bedlam, might I suggest getting a 6 pack and culturing the yeast? That's what I did. It's pretty easy, just make a normal starter, and pour the dregs of each bottle into the starter

If you are getting Wyeast, I'd go with either Ardennes 3522 or Belgian Abbey 1214

That is a fantastic idea that I completely forgot about! Thank you. I forgot that ale asylum doesn't pasteurize their brews like New Glarus does.

goblueM said:
if you love Bedlam, might I suggest getting a 6 pack and culturing the yeast? That's what I did. It's pretty easy, just make a normal starter, and pour the dregs of each bottle into the starter

If you are getting Wyeast, I'd go with either Ardennes 3522 or Belgian Abbey 1214

I would have to agree with the Ardennes 3522 or BA1214. oddly enough I guess, I have only used White Labs, Fermentis, and Notty.

Duffmantt, Keep us updated on the final product!!

Back