Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain Brew Tomorrow Morning

Old 06-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My thoughts exactly HEAVY GRAIN! Hope you have a strong bag and a pulley, or lots of friends with thick rubber gloves.

Have fun and report back. Whatever happens you should end up with BEER.

Adam Cole (aka cadamole) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6dzUOYTQtQ)

Old 06-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #12
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

wow. damn. 28lbs, that's a hell of a grain bill. Or are you making scotch?

I kid, I kid. you should have enough for everyone, whether it's enough beer to go around, or one very high-test beer for everyone. either way, you should have enough. lol

Old 06-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
BOBTHEukBREWER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Why so much grain? Summer beers should be 4% ABV maximum.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1033 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 2750

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBTHEukBREWER View Post
I don't recall the OP saying anything about the beer style he's brewing. Who's to say he's making a "summer beer"?

Old 06-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
Stauffbier
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JankoDawg86 View Post
Thanks for all of the input guys! I definitely feel a lot better about this! Time to fire up the burner!
So, how did it go?

Old 06-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #16
dannedry
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBTHEukBREWER View Post
Hahaha, I beg to differ. The 10% Double IPA I'm drinking this summer tastes good to me!
Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
JankoDawg86
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry for not reporting back sooner guys. After brewing yesterday my wife and I went out on the boat and I haven't had a chance to get online. I would say that overall my first all grain experience was a success! No boil overs or any other issues. And I hit 70% efficiency! Didn't think that was too bad for my first time. I ended up brewing a 11 gallon batch of two-hearted ale clone. I know it's not a true summer beer, but it's one of my all time favorites, and I made a pretty good extract version a few months ago so thought it would be a good comparison brew. I think overall I had about 5.5 hours into it, including clean up. The grain was extremely heavy though. I held it above the brew pot as long as I could. When my arms were about to give up I rigged it up on my pulley system over a 6 gallon bucket and let it drain for about 15 min. before I squeezed it (w/ gloves on b/c it was still pretty hot). I thoroughly enjoyed this new aspect of brewing and can't wait until my next go-round. Happy brewing!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #18
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sounds like you did great for the size of the grain bill. On big beers, which is what I usually brew (but 5 gal at a time), I usually get about 70%. Up to 80 with a 5% brew. The bag must have been amazingly heavy. I just did a 23 lb grain bill in a Russian Imperial Stout, that's for 5 gallons. Got 68% efficiency and hit about 10% ABV. But I split it into two bags in my keggle and then drained each separately. That lightens the load Something to think about. Did the same thing a week later but with 10 gallons of IPA that hit 8.8%.

Enjoy. Sounds like you are on your way with BIAB.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #19
dannedry
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Congratulations on your first all grain brew session!!! I dig your choice in brews... Bell's 2Hearted is one of my favorite IPAs. I've never done the BIAB, but 70% sounds pretty good!
Brew on!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #20
Stauffbier
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JankoDawg86 View Post
Sorry for not reporting back sooner guys. After brewing yesterday my wife and I went out on the boat and I haven't had a chance to get online. I would say that overall my first all grain experience was a success! No boil overs or any other issues. And I hit 70% efficiency! Didn't think that was too bad for my first time. I ended up brewing a 11 gallon batch of two-hearted ale clone. I know it's not a true summer beer, but it's one of my all time favorites, and I made a pretty good extract version a few months ago so thought it would be a good comparison brew. I think overall I had about 5.5 hours into it, including clean up. The grain was extremely heavy though. I held it above the brew pot as long as I could. When my arms were about to give up I rigged it up on my pulley system over a 6 gallon bucket and let it drain for about 15 min. before I squeezed it (w/ gloves on b/c it was still pretty hot). I thoroughly enjoyed this new aspect of brewing and can't wait until my next go-round. Happy brewing!
Great job on your first BIAB! If you're going to brew 10+ gallons on a regular basis you might want to consider making a MLT. Not that there is anything wrong with BIAB, but I think large batches would be easier in a mash tun. I still BIAB from time to time, but it's almost always for small batches (3-4 gallon). That's just a personal opinion, though. You should do what is best for you and what you prefer, by all means...