Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > My Wild Ale.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
mloula
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default My Wild Ale.

Brewed 7.5 Gallons Thursday June 14 2012. 5 gals went into carboy and other 2.5 went into bucket covered with 2 paint filters which was then left in garage. When checked Saturday morning, fermentation activity was noticed. I brought into basement on Sunday evening as there was some very hot weather coming and airlocked it. Today it is still active with bubbles and (I guess) yeasty chunks floating on the surface.

Very excited to see what happens next.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1419.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	65943  

Old 06-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
mloula
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

OG 1.049 Today 1.030. Haven't seen one bubble at the airlock.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

How does it smell or taste?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
mloula
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Smell is of sourness and funk and something else that I can't pick out yet. Taste is funky and very pleasant. No sour yet. It looks like it will be drinkable when finished, so far. I. Must. Have. Patience. Which may prove to be difficult.

Thinking I'll make some sour dough bread with the yeast harvest when it's all said and done.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I guess if it remains stalled, you could pitch some clean yeast to ferment it further and then let it sit to sour more. But you are probably right, patience may be best.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Well done with the spontaneous fermentation! I also spontaneously fermented an ale this spring. It went from 1.063 to 1.025 in about three weeks and stalled there. I grew up dregs from a bottle of a JP beer and a Bockor Oud Bruin. Fermentation kicked up again shortly after. If yours stays stalled, you could always do something along those lines.

How long are you going to let it ferment?
Kegged: BOSON on Rhubarb, Dry-Hopped Sour Brown (ECY01), Ginger Strawberry, IPA, DIPA Primary: 10G BoPils (WLP802, S23) Souring: None On Deck: TBD On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Atrial Rubicite clone (ECY20), Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2015/08/06
Untappd: barrooze

Old 06-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #7
mloula
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Not sure how long to let it go for. Probably until there is no activity on the surface and then some. Hopefully I can let it go another two weeks without checking the gravity at least. http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_lambicbrewing.cfm I'm not sure how the sequence of bacteria activity applies to me though.

How did your's turn out?

Old 06-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
mloula
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

So I waited 5 days since last check. WooHoo! Anyway, it's down to 1.010. Not much has changed with aroma or flavor except now there is a very slight sourness at the back of the mouth.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #9
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloula View Post
Not sure how long to let it go for. Probably until there is no activity on the surface and then some. Hopefully I can let it go another two weeks without checking the gravity at least. http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_lambicbrewing.cfm I'm not sure how the sequence of bacteria activity applies to me though.

How did your's turn out?
That sequence generally applies but since you aren't working with a pure, selected culture of bugs you may see considerable variance. You may get some early ropy texture or none at all. You may get a lot of diacetyl or none. Etc. If you are willing to let this sit for a long time you may end up with a very interesting beer.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
mloula
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Today's sample, 1.008 and a little more sourness. I spose I should let it sit for a while now or I'll sample it so much that I won't have anything left to bottle.

Other thoughts I'm having...The other five gallons I made with this batch and pitched the WLP670 is absolutely delicious. Very little sourness so far, but I'm sure that will come with time as the brett does it's thing. I was planning on adding tart cherries and pinot noir soaked oak chips like Supplication which I thought was amazing. Wondering if I really want to do that to this beer or if I want to add cherries and chips to both batches...........