Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Attn Certified BJCP judges!

Old 06-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
RogueGoose85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Attn Certified BJCP judges!

The beer in question: Weihenstephaner Vitus (Weizenbock)

I am currently studying for the judging portion of the BJCP exam, and am currently drinking some German styles. I read that Weihenstephaner Vitus was a great weizenbock, so I picked it up.

While drinking it, I was stunned at how far it deviated from the style. So there lies my first experience of having an absolutely incredible beer, but one which deviated from the style. I was almost conflicted on how to judge it. I gave it my best, and judged it according to style for look, aroma, taste, and mouthfeel (docking points where appropriate), and gave it a generous score on overall since that is the subjective component of the judging.

I was hoping that someone who is certified could judge this beer and share their results, in an effort to see if I judged this beer appropriately (given the conflict of it being a fantastic beer, but one which lacks major aspects of the style).

Cheers