Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > First kegerator build

Old 06-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
k9ted
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First kegerator build

Hey guys. I've been searching this site for about 3 days and I have gotten a lot of great information on building a kegerator, but I have a couple questions I can't find answers to. Mainly, what size fridge will fit a full (1/2 barrel) keg AND a pony keg. I want 2 kegs, 1 for regular beer, and 1 for seasonal (except for October. Sam Adams Octoberfest will be in BOTH KEGS! ). I was looking into keezers, but it looks like it will be a lot more work that I'm interested in doing. Temp control, wood collar, fan for circulation, etc.

So I guess what I'm asking is can I fit a full keg and a pony keg? Will a 5lb CO2 tank be big enough to handle both? Is there anything I'll need besides a 2 tap conversion kit? Is there anything else I need to know before I start the build?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
HartBlood
Recipes 

Another thing about a keezer is. Do you want to lift a 1/2 barrel up and over the edge? As for the 5lb CO2 it would work just fine. There are web sites that say it would last 5-7 half kegs. I have a 5lb and it cost me around $20 to get a full one. Planning on moving up to a 20lb tank I hear its not much more for the exchange. As for space in a frige you may need to do 2 slim pony kegs. Due to the fact that 1/2 barrel is 17" wide.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
duckredbeard
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts

You mentioned pony keg a couple of times. Most people think of the 1/4 bbl (7.75 gal) kegs that are the same diameter as a regular keg. One of the more popular size eggs among craft brewers is the sixtel (also called a torpedo). It is 5.16 gallons, one third of a full size keg. Roughly the size and shape of a Cornelius keg. This might open your eyes to many options. In the brewery where I previously worked, we had a 1/2 bbl keg and three torpedos in what was about the average over/under fridge. The small footprint and tall profile is exactly why pubs like that keg. You will like it too.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
k9ted
Recipes 

So you're saying replace the pony keg with a torpedo or two? And would I put them on the ground next to the 1/2 barrel, instead of ontop? Would a typical top freezer style fridge be wide enough to fit a slim quarter and a 1/2 barrel side by side? How available are they to get? I've only dealt with full and pony kegs before.