Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Want to Trade Forum > Trade - Mesquite Pods For Brewing Or Flour

Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
GTG
Farm Out!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Trade - Mesquite Pods For Brewing Or Flour

So I have access to a few different varieties of mesquite with varying colors of pods that I am going to start harvesting next week. I will plan on getting 2 pound batches for people since that seems to be a decent amount of pods to do a nice batch of beer. If anyone is interested in a trade or just buying some, let me know. I should be able to fit 2 pounds of pods in a large USPS flat rate box. I'll give updates and post pictures next week.
I have done many trades in the past 2 years for prickly pear fruit and am looking to do the same with mesquite pods this year. If anyone is interested, let me know via PM and we'll see what we can work out. I'm interested mostly in trading for brewing ingredients but am open to most anything that has to do with our hobby.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/mesq...s-beer-142992/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/mesq...b-beer-186960/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/mesquite-pods-188501/

Thanks,
GTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTG View Post
I have also brewed and bottled a roasted mesquite stout with local grown black sphinx dates. I'll update with tasting notes as it matures a bit. If anyone is interested, I have been scouting local trees and will be harvesting pods starting in late summer as they begin to ripen. If anyone is interested in using some that doesn't have access to them, I will be happy to work out trades with them for other brewing ingredients/equipment. If there's some interest, I'll take it to the Classifieds forum.
Thanks,
GTG

olllllo Likes This 
Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
mendozer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

do you boil it in the wort for a smoky flavor? I have no ides what I'd use this for, besides smoking some pork haha

Old 06-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

do you boil it in the wort for a smokey flavor? I have no ides what I'd use this for, besides smoking some pork haha

Old 06-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
GTG
Farm Out!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer View Post
do you boil it in the wort for a smokey flavor? I have no ides what I'd use this for, besides smoking some pork haha
See the links from the posts above. They're basically used as specialty steeping grains to make great beer.

GTG

Old 06-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

sweet sounds good. that would be a good addition to a brown ale or a porter. I'm here in washington so i don't have any "local specialties" you may like, but the fruit stand near my house sells prickly pears.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
GTG
Farm Out!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

It goes great into a darker wheat, one of my best beers to date, everyone loved it. As far as prickly pears, no thanks, I get buckets of them in September and do trades with them as well here on HBT.

GTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer View Post
sweet sounds good. that would be a good addition to a brown ale or a porter. I'm here in washington so i don't have any "local specialties" you may like, but the fruit stand near my house sells prickly pears.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
bitmask
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer
Find done huckleberries, and you've got your hands on a local specialty

Old 06-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ive never seen raw huckleberries anywhere. they don't grow nearly as wild as blackberries and raspberries around here. i'm never paying for blackberries again because they're at the beaches, on the roads, in parks, etc. crazy goodness

Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
bitmask
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, they are harder to come by, and the known areas I imagine get picked quickly. I used to be in Portland and as a kid we'd go to eastern Oregon to visit family and go to some areas there where we'd pick pounds.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
GTG
Farm Out!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I did a trade a couple of summers ago for huckleberries for prickly pears. I need to bottle that mead someday I suppose.

GTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitmask View Post
Yeah, they are harder to come by, and the known areas I imagine get picked quickly. I used to be in Portland and as a kid we'd go to eastern Oregon to visit family and go to some areas there where we'd pick pounds.