Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bulk Grain Distributor

Old 06-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
2drunkmonks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bulk Grain Distributor

Most of the bulk grain distributors wont sell to homebrewers any more. I brew 25 gallon batched 3-4 times a months with my buddy and we go through a lot of grain. Does anyone know of any distibutors (preferably with a wharehouse in the Bay Area of CA) that still sells bulk grain to home brewers. North Country,MaltMasters etc dont sell to home brewers anymore, which is sad, because I typically buy 8-10 bags at a time....

Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 30

www.fiftypoundsack.com

Good price shipped to your house by the bag. That's about the best I've found (I typically burn 70lbs a month - not quite as much as you but more than the average homebrewer).

Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I don't get the love for that site. My LHBS sells grain sacks for $60, nearly double what they go for from a distributor, but is still cheaper than fiftypoundsack. Ask your LHBS(s) if they'll give you a bulk discount for buying like 10 bags. If they won't, they're jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
2drunkmonks
Recipes 

I checked them out, but I can still get in cheaper from More Beer in the bay area, as long I pick it up directly from the store. I got a North country malt catalog and it is 40% cheaper than More Beer. I attached it just to let people know how bad they are getting gouged on their grains.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
2drunkmonks
Recipes 

sorry file is too big, I will attached a screenshot

Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2875 Times on 1700 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

More than likely there's someone or more than one someone on here in your area that is granfathered in on the bulk grain buy. Check the California section of the forum and see.

When they stopped selling bulk to groups of homebrewers, they didn't really. They actually just stopped selling to new ones. Pretty much every account that was established before hand is still being sold to. We've still been having 2 yearly bulk buys on here for the Michigan Masher's. But there were rules, ONLY the names on the existing account can instigate the buy/place the order. And we have to do at least 1 buy a year to still be allowed to continue in the future.

We're still paying IIRC 39.00/sack of 2-row (including splitting the shipping cost)

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
2drunkmonks
Recipes 

Here are the Briess prices as an example
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-21-2012 10-22-18 AM.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	65737  

Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

We did a group buy through a guy who has a commercial account with a distributor and paid less than $38 per sack of 2-row and pale ale malt. Maris Otter was similar, but slightly higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Schumed
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 20

A friend of a friend is a sales rep for US Foods and one of his accounts is a local brew pub....he sells me bulk grain at cost....$27 for 2 row!!! He basically throws my order in with the local brew pub account.

Find out who some of the local brew pubs and breweries go through and find a friend of a friend

Group Buy would be the second suggestion

Old 06-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I don't get the love for that site. My LHBS sells grain sacks for $60, nearly double what they go for from a distributor, but is still cheaper than fiftypoundsack. Ask your LHBS(s) if they'll give you a bulk discount for buying like 10 bags. If they won't, they're jerks
U be lucky. My LHBS (www.ebrew.com) is $51.49 a sack plus 8.5% tax AND $15.00 in gasoline... fiftypoundsack is much cheaper. especially for Weyermann Pilsner malt.