Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Sierra Nevada Hoptimum 2012
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
arsenal610
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: saint augustine, florida
Posts: 49
Likes Given: 1

Default Sierra Nevada Hoptimum 2012

I tried this last week and somewhat enjoyed it. It was a fun experience, but I prefer other DIPA over this. I think hop heads would enjoy this one!

Here's my vid review on it for those who would like to check it out:



arsenal610 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1081 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

It's a decent brew, but definitely not my favorite DIPA by far. My favorite DIPAs of that vein currently are Lakefront's XXXX IPA and Rogue's I2PA. I also love Pliny and Southern Tier's 2XIPA.


__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
arsenal610
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: saint augustine, florida
Posts: 49
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
It's a decent brew, but definitely not my favorite DIPA by far. My favorite DIPAs of that vein currently are Lakefront's XXXX IPA and Rogue's I2PA. I also love Pliny and Southern Tier's 2XIPA.
Yeah, I enjoy rogue and ST 2IPA over this. Man, I always hear great things about Lakefront brews.
arsenal610 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
tom_gamer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 622
Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I enjoyed it. It was great sip beer for me.
tom_gamer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1081 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal610 View Post
Man, I always hear great things about Lakefront brews.
You should check 'em out, great stuff.


I agree with you, TG, it's a good sipper. Definitely not the most drinkable of DIPAs, but tasty enough to keep you coming back.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
neosapien
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 714
Liked 143 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
It's a decent brew, but definitely not my favorite DIPA by far. My favorite DIPAs of that vein currently are Lakefront's XXXX IPA and Rogue's I2PA. I also love Pliny and Southern Tier's 2XIPA.
I keep hearing Lakefront popping up in conversation over and over again. I need to find a way to get a mix of six or something. BrewingTV's episode on them strongly reinforced that opinion.

I'm also a big fan of Rogue's double ipa. They make a lot of good beers. Dead Guy Ale was the one that /finally/ got my dad to appreciate hoppy beers. I don't think I've seen many (if any?) people on here say they don't like Pliny; that beer is real close to the pinacle of the style.

Sierra Nevada, though...unfortunately, I can't say I've had any of their beers that I've ever liked. I know they're a big name on the craft front and been around a long time, but nothing about any of the SN beers I've tried has impressed me enough to make sense of how often I see the name come up. Is there something about them I'm just not seeing or tasting?
neosapien is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Kaleco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 101
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I really enjoyed this beer and went back for another 4-pack. For the price and availability (don't have to hunt for it), it's hard to beat for me.
Kaleco is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
ingchr1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ingchr1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orange County NY
Posts: 389
Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

I somewhat enjoyed it as well. I'm going to age one or two to see what happens, even though it is a hoppy beer.
__________________
Chris
ingchr1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #9
arsenal610
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: saint augustine, florida
Posts: 49
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosapien View Post
I keep hearing Lakefront popping up in conversation over and over again. I need to find a way to get a mix of six or something. BrewingTV's episode on them strongly reinforced that opinion.

I'm also a big fan of Rogue's double ipa. They make a lot of good beers. Dead Guy Ale was the one that /finally/ got my dad to appreciate hoppy beers. I don't think I've seen many (if any?) people on here say they don't like Pliny; that beer is real close to the pinacle of the style.

Sierra Nevada, though...unfortunately, I can't say I've had any of their beers that I've ever liked. I know they're a big name on the craft front and been around a long time, but nothing about any of the SN beers I've tried has impressed me enough to make sense of how often I see the name come up. Is there something about them I'm just not seeing or tasting?
For me, I don't consider any of there beers anything special. They don't have any "wow" beers. At the end of the day, I consider them a Solid brewery.
arsenal610 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
craft_beer_fan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ames, IA
Posts: 32
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal610
I tried this last week and somewhat enjoyed it. It was a fun experience, but I prefer other DIPA over this. I think hop heads would enjoy this one!

Here's my vid review on it for those who would like to check it out:

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN8P-fdXyyA
Good review! I recently noticed this has become available at a local grocery store. Will have to try it.


craft_beer_fan is offline
arsenal610 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum straycat Commercial Brew Discussion 16 02-15-2011 01:39 AM
Sierra Nevada ESB fretsforlife Commercial Brew Discussion 10 05-28-2009 05:27 PM
Sierra Nevada ESB BrianTheBrewer Commercial Brew Discussion 4 02-18-2009 09:32 PM
Sierra Nevada ESB Beeropolis Commercial Brew Discussion 7 01-21-2008 07:53 PM
Sierra Nevada IPA alemonkey Commercial Brew Discussion 10 04-05-2007 07:25 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS