Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 2.5 gallon keg

Old 09-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #61
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 102

when you think about it, it is no surprise that two 2.5 gal kegs are taller than a 5 gal keg. Especially with those tall handles that are made for stacking. I mostly brew 3 gal batches anyway. I've been using Tap A Draft bottles for the last two years They are fine, but I think these may preserve the beer longer.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #62
jrb03
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Can you overfill these kegs, or is it ok to fill it to the tippy top? This is my first ball lock keg, I have been using the 5L mini-kegs. I saw the mini dip tube deal attached to the gas side and wondered if that needs to stay dry.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #63
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
when you think about it, it is no surprise that two 2.5 gal kegs are taller than a 5 gal keg. Especially with those tall handles that are made for stacking. I mostly brew 3 gal batches anyway. I've been using Tap A Draft bottles for the last two years They are fine, but I think these may preserve the beer longer.
I mostly like the idea of increasing the number of taps in the same amount of space. I'll definitely have to pick up a few more of these things.

Nooga Strong
brewfreeordie Likes This 
Old 09-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #64
Yesfan

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post
Can you overfill these kegs, or is it ok to fill it to the tippy top? This is my first ball lock keg, I have been using the 5L mini-kegs. I saw the mini dip tube deal attached to the gas side and wondered if that needs to stay dry.

I wouldn't get it to the very tip top. There should be no worries if you're doing 2.5 gallon, or less, batches. If you're splitting a big batch, then just use good judgement. I imagine it's sort of like bottling as you want a little bit of head space. Maybe just measure out 2.5 gallons of water, pour in the keg, and see where the water stops to give you an idea of how much beer to put in there.

Nooga Strong

Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #65
pjcampbell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What co2 tank do you guys use to fit in the fridge? I was looking at the heights, and it sounds like the largest you could fit in this height range is a 2.5 pounder?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #66
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcampbell View Post
What co2 tank do you guys use to fit in the fridge? I was looking at the heights, and it sounds like the largest you could fit in this height range is a 2.5 pounder?
I have a 5 pounder in mine. Even without the collar it fits.

If you look carefully, you can see the little blue top of the gas bottle, near the bucket I was crash cooling.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #67
Yesfan

Recipes 

Nice looking keezer Revvy. What size is it?

Nooga Strong

Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #68
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan View Post

Nice looking keezer Revvy. What size is it?
7.0 cubic foot. Holds 5 kegs. Or 3 kegs and a bucket crash cooling or lagering.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Yesfan Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #69
DPTBREWER
Recipes 

This is an amazing deal thanks for the reviews brew family!

Celebrate Nat'l homebrew day! 11-3-12 contact your LHBS if they are running one. We here in NYC are doing one in Astoria as BREWSTORIA.com and making it a fundraiser for red cross. Come by if you are around.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #70
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Mine are getting here today! I am super excited. Hopefully that hold of for a long time, especially with them being Chinese made and suspiciously cheap. Totally worth it though. Lets us know if anyone runs into any problems.

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)