Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Partial Mash - How much water?

Old 06-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
hefehawk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Partial Mash - How much water?

I've done a few partial mash kits from AHS. My problem is that they call for 2 gallons of water to mash the 3 pounds of grain. I have a 9 gallon kettle and if I fill with 2 gallons of water, then the water barely covers the grain and the grain is sitting on the bottom of the pot. Can I add another gallon of water so that the grain can freely move around in my grain bag above the bottom of the pot, but still be covered by water?

Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
blackbear219
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Go for it. You're partial mashing so you top off with plain water at the end anyways so it's going to have minimal to no impact. I've done a couple northern brewer partial mashes and their instructions say 5 quarts, I think...that's not nearly enough and I've bumped it up with no problem whatsoever.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
christpuncher123
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You have a 9 gal kettle, why do a partial mash?

Old 06-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Partial mash refers to the use of some grains as well as extracts as your sugar source, not the size/amt of water you are using. Perhaps his stove cannot handle a full boil or he does not have a way to cool five gallons of wort quickly?
Keg1: Blue moonish Clone
Keg2: EdWort's Kolsch
Keg3: Bell's Two-Hearted Ale Clone
Bottled: Pumkin Ale, DFH 60min, Choc Stout, Choc/Coffee Stout, Apricot Ale, Banna Foster Cream Ale, Christmas Ale.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
hefehawk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbehr View Post
Partial mash refers to the use of some grains as well as extracts as your sugar source, not the size/amt of water you are using. Perhaps his stove cannot handle a full boil or he does not have a way to cool five gallons of wort quickly?
I have an outside propane burner, but don't have a way to cool 5 gallons right now. Plus, I think I might stick with this partial mash for a while. My future goal is to do BIAB as I have a large enough bag now, just need a wort chiller.