Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Insane OG. I guess this is sort of what I asked for.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #31
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Awesome, 1.021 is fantastic for a 1.101 beer. I would NOT add champagne yeast, at least not yet. Age will help with everything you've mentioned. Let it condition in bulk for at least a month (bulk conditioning is faster than in bottles, IME). 70 degrees is great. If after a few months it still tastes too sweet to you, then you can try other options, but personally I'd leave it.
Glad I'm in line with your advice Ty. Yeah, 70 is what's showing on the thermometer on the side of the carboy. It tastes really nice but I was just listing off all of the cons to the beer. Guess I'll bottle this one some time in August. Will continue to share here photos in a month or so.

Untappd Profile

Old 07-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #32
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I tried my pseudo-dubbel last night, 8 days since brewing, coming in at 1.004 after SG of 1.068 using WLP400 repitch. Was fantastic, sweet, bubblegum, hot alcohol, but I know that carbonation will make it all balance out.

Needless to say, I cold-crashed it already

Just kicked my Nugget Empire IIPA last night, too. 8.5%...I think I'm falling in love with big beers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #33
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

UPDATE: I waited a week and it's been a full 10 days since my last reading. FG is unchanged. I don't think it's "stuck" but 10.5% is smaller than I was expecting yet sort of perfect.

PROBLEM: I just noticed that probably for the last 3 days, the carboy has been above 70..more like 75-80 degrees. I freaked out a bit and the sample I took today well I tried some and I'm getting this very astringent funkiness that wasn't there on the last reading.

Crap.

So, as promised though, I'm going to move it to a keg, purge O2 and leave it in the cellar for a while at 62 Degrees to let things finalize. Just siphon it straight to keg and filter out almost all trub. Currently, it's in the beer fridge cold crashing so I'll transfer it tomorrow night.

Hoping I didn't "ruin" things but, only time will tell so I'm just gonna continue as planned and probably tap it in a few weeks to see how things are going and test if the flavor is balancing out.
Untappd Profile

Old 07-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #34
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Probably just hot alcohol taste. My dubbel is in the 8% range but finished very dry. It tastes similar to liquor to me uncarbonated. Give it time to age. Big beers/barleywines need that (except IIPA's )

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!