Chicken Tractor / Chicken Raising - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Chicken Tractor / Chicken Raising

Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Feb 2004
Liked 2205 Times on 775 Posts

Changing my chicken raising setup and constructing a chicken tractor, going to chronicle the build here:

http://www.chickenforum.com/f16/chic...ild-thread-14/

Started on Tuesday and finished the rough frame out last night. Can't wait to work on it tonight, should be able to get a lot done with the coop portion.

Anyone else raise chickens?
Click image for larger version

Name:	chickentractor2.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	65626  

Register Now!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
jgln
Recipes 

May 2008
Southern, NJ
Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts

This is one of those pens you move around the yard? If so how will you move it around? Will it be on wheels? A sled?

We have chickens in a 10x35' pen and when we are home they free range on our property. Biggest problem is something always wants to get at them. We recently lost 3 chicks in one night from a snake. Managed to get to them through a small crack in the door. I thought they were safe by now, who knew???

Old 06-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
machinelf
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Cairo, WV
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Good luck with the tractor! Luckily we live out in the sticks so our girls just stroll around the house.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
landshark
HMFIC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2011
Pleasant Hill, Missouri
Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts

There is a Chicken Forum?

Like a whole forum dedicated to raising chickens??????

And I thought a Chevy Cavalier forum and Ice Chewer forum was weird...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 06-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Southern Oregon
Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
Ice Chewer forum
Say what?

Old 06-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

I just helped a fellow homebrewer (and a cute one at that, but sadly married) slaughter and butcher 50 chickens on Saturday. It was quite an experience.

She splits the costs with a local farmer, and he raises them. And once a year they butcher them up and have enough chicken for each family for a year. And all of us who help get to take chicken and carcases for stock.

My favorite part was watching the Farmer use the plucking machine.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Getzinator

Recipes 

Apr 2012
Wilmington, De
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Hey, that's awesome! I can't wait to start raising some on my own. I currently live in a studio apartment in the city, so I don't have the land for it. But as soon as we get married and get a house, I'll be buying some birds!

I do have some questions though, like I need to find where it's legal and such. Also what kind of birds should I get? What do they eat? How many forums do you admin for? AH SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Also How many birds do you have?

Edit: Wow, I've never seen a plucking machine. What are the pluckers on the main cylinder made of?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Feb 2004
Liked 2205 Times on 775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
This is one of those pens you move around the yard? If so how will you move it around? Will it be on wheels? A sled?

We have chickens in a 10x35' pen and when we are home they free range on our property. Biggest problem is something always wants to get at them. We recently lost 3 chicks in one night from a snake. Managed to get to them through a small crack in the door. I thought they were safe by now, who knew???
Yes you can move it around the yard to pick areas to graze. They free range but we wanted a coop for them at night to avoid the hawks, bobcats and coyotes.

Quote:

I just threw one up to use kind of like a blog. I like the forum format better then blogs since people can share. I think there are massive ones out there.

Register Now!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7677 Times on 6273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I just helped a fellow homebrewer (and a cute one at that, but sadly married)...

Brother, I know you've been near the gates of hell this year, but perhaps you should re-evaluate your taste in women.

People Like This 
Old 06-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Sacdan

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Sacramento, CA
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:

backyardchickens is a good Chicken forum too.