Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Not Equally Carbonated?

Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
DAV3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Not Equally Carbonated?

Why would some of my beers be carbonated more than others? I boiled the priming sugar and poured it in the bottling bucket and then added the beer to be bottled. I figured with all the beer swirling into the bucket that it would be well mixed. But i have had a few beers in past two batches that literally foam till the bottle is empty. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
CAUK
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My last batch was also inconsistent. I boiled corn sugar into a simple syrup and cooled it before adding to my bottling bucket. I'm 99% certain I gave it a good stir before bottling, but so far I've had some well-carbed bottles and some utterly flat ones.

One of the flat bottles was a crown-cap bomber, the others were 1/2 liter swing-tops. It was weird.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
BrewinHooligan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1336 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 1931

Are you letting the beer sit for any period of time before you start filling bottles? I used to have the same problem regularly despite many others here saying the swirling from racking is sufficient to mix it all evenly. I started to gently stir with a large sanitized spoon and have not had this issue anymore. If you decide to stir you do risk oxidation, but I personally have not experienced that yet. Sometimes the beers don't all carb up at the same time as well, so more time out of the fridge may be needed as well.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 06-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
grey487
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you have mixed well before bottling, did u stOre the bottles against a colder or warmer wall?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Two things at play here.

One is incomplete mixing of the priming solution.

Two is that you may have different yeast concentrations, slightly different temps, etc, in different bottles. You are dealing with living organisms, after all; they carb properly when they carb properly.

Give them some time, and odds are, it will evenout (more or less).

Do note that you shouldn't have any bottles that form until the beer is gone, though - that sounds like a possible infection.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
DAV3
Recipes 

Bottles are stored in the basement in VA so it is consistent temp. I waited 3.5 weeks to try my first few beers. Last batch waited longer but had the same problem. I will try stirring next batch. The beer tastes great though! That's a plus!