Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First batch ever, blueberry apple cider

Old 06-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
MarkKF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts

My definition is transfer from one vessel to another leaving the stuff that fell out of solution behind.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
Bevilaquafoto
Recipes 

Got it, thank you. That's what i thought.

Leave the gun. Take the cannolis.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
Bevilaquafoto
Recipes 

You guys have been very kind in helping out with advice. May I continue to ask some questions? It's been a little over two weeks, and I tasted the brew. Fermentation, at least "visible" fermentation seems to have stopped. As Dr. Who pointed out, adding the fruit during the initial fermentation has yielded very little blueberry or fruit flavor. Also, as I have been reading, it's not at all sweet. Clearly, it needs more time to finish fermenting, and to settle out. I think I got a little ahead of myself with the fruit. In any case, I did play with adding a touch of Stevia sweetener to my sample glass, and that improved the flavor quite a bit. Do I just need more time? Did I mess up the batch altogether? Any thoughts you guys might have would be greatly appreciated. It looks like I might have the makings of something decent, but I'm not sure.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
Bevilaquafoto
Recipes 

Also, I have been spending WAY too much time researching the cider forum regarding "back sweetening" my cider, and am very confused at this point. I understand that the cider probably needs to be racked a couple of times, and left to ferment. I do want to mix the batch with priming sugar when I am ready to bottle thus carbonating my cider. I also want to add Lactose at some point to sweeten the batch. I know that the lactose is non-fermentable, and won't get eaten up by the yeast. If I use it, do I ruin the last step of using priming sugar to carbonate in the bottle? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts

I have yet to backsweeten a cider. I like it dry. About half of my testers still call it "sweet". Probably because they are beer drinkers and not white wine drinkers.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Bevilaquafoto
Recipes 

Hmmmm.....maybe I'll just slow down then, let these first couple of gallon batches ferment slowly, and try it when it's completely drinkable/finished. I then want to graduate to a five gallon batch.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
SoonerMike
Recipes 

Looks like this thread is about dead, but I just wanted to comment on the timing for conditioning. Bevil, even though the fermentation may be done after a few weeks, from my (limited) experience with ciders, you need to let it condition for at least 4 months. It will get more drinkable with age. I haven't kept anything past 7-6 months, so I don't know how much it continues to change, but the taste seems to stable out by 4 months.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #18
Bevilaquafoto
Recipes 

Thank you for the comment, Mike! Yes, I am learning that with either beer OR hard cider, letting stuff age out really changes the flavor and character. I have made quite a few batches of hard cider, and graff now, all with very good results having aged them quite a while. Will keep trying. I've also learned that fruit HAS to go in the secondary fermenter, otherwise, the yeast eats all the flavor of the fruit. If you have any good recipes, I'd love to hear them.