Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Keeping notes!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
gmcapone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a binder and use Beersmith or hopville.com to print out recipes and put them in the binder with the receipt stapled to them. For notes I keep them stored on my phone using color note, then later write them on the back of the recipe sheet. I got a tab in my binder for styles I want to brew, equipment I need, recipes I have brewed, and BJCP score sheets for reviewing my beers.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
Butcher
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just a composition notebook with recipes, gravity measurments, dates and tasting notes of this is really good or this sucks. I really can't laugh at the guys with complex setups, you should see my training journal. There are probably Olympic level athletes/coaches that are not as detailed as I am.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 24 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 337 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use beersmith to design my recipes. I print out the brew sheet and BruNwater adjustments for brewday. I write all notes on the back of the brewsheet. After brew day is over it goes into a 3 ring binder. If I enter it into competition, the scoresheets get placed in the sleeve with the recipe.

I learned the hard way that if you want to make good beer and really understand what you are doing, you need great notes. Early on, I made some great brews. Then started delving into new techniques and water adjustments, etc. Eventually all my beer was lackluster and because I made so many changes without writing it down, I had no clue where I strayed. Fast forward, I now take detailed notes on anything relatively important. I know some brewers are fine with being a bit lackadaisical on their practices, but that is just not for me. Or anyone who is a slight perfectionist.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
lincoln
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do a couple of things.

1- The primary records go into a bound comp book. the first 15 or so pages are for general things i found on the net. ie mcmaster part numbers to keg o-rings, recipe for pressure canning quarts starter wort. formula to correct for high or low og. next section is recipes i have found in the wild that i want to try, about a third of the pages- 15/20pgs. that leaves the last 2/3s for brew day notes. The brew day notes have the recipe and commentary about how the day went. any differences in what the calculated temps/volumes were vs actual. the point is to record enough information in a chronological order so that i can make batches repeatable and dial in the software.

2 software, I use brew target. Each version of a recipe get its its own entry. Also equipments, ie 90 vs 60 min boil, old small mach tun vs newer big mash tun.

3 china markers. Between friends coming over to brew and unpredictable work scheduled, i have lost track of buckets before. with a china marker from mc-master i write the dates, gravities and names on the buckets. makes things simpler.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
opusx11
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm using Evernote for logging details about the brew day, any racking for secondary or flavour additions, and also for bottling/tastings.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I wrote a blog post with my process here: http://bertusbrewery.blogspot.com/20...wing-logs.html

Pen and paper notes for everything basically. Although truthfully, now that I keep a blog updated, it's kind of redundant.