Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > When to Use Blow Off Tube?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #21
BobBailey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowNotes View Post
Yeah, this is what I really can't figure out? And if you attach a tub to the airlock, won't the whole apparatus still be limited by the smallest diameter? If it clogs at the connection between airlock/bucket, won't I still have the issue of the airlock exploding off, taking the blowoff tube with it?

I guess there is the bucket method of loosely attaching the lid and putting a light weight on it...
I would drill out the hole in the lid and get a couple of bungs. One to fit the blowofff and one to fit the airlock.

Bob

Old 01-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #22
LowNotes
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBailey View Post
I would drill out the hole in the lid and get a couple of bungs. One to fit the blowofff and one to fit the airlock.

Bob
Well I'll be...that is so crazy it just might work! In fact, if I drill it out to the same diameter as a carboy, I could use the carboy bungs (which I already have) for the airlock, and I would only need a bung for the blowoff tube...well, and of course I need to buy the tube also.

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #23
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1168 Times on 732 Posts
Likes Given: 1048

I have a 1" blowoff tube, but I can't use it. It's too small to just jam into the neck of the carboy (i.e., it leaves a gap). I can stick it in an airlock body and attach the airlock to the carboy with a drilled stopper, but the 1" tube is so rigid that it causes the stopper to keep popping off the carboy. That is, the tube has a coiled shape it tries to keep, which applies torquing or pulling force on the airlock/stopper it's connected to, and the whole thing won't stay in the neck of the carboy. Anyone have a solution for this?

Old 01-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #24
PAjwPhilly
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Local hardware store (TruValue) bought tubing for $0.45 a foot. Now its not 1" but you could probably buy some tubing cheap like this.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #25
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
What size tube did you use? Your using a bucket so you only can get about 5/16 inch size tube? or did you attach a tube to the airlock? I just started using a carboy and the 1 inch tube is nice for a blow-off.
I was using a carboy at the time. I think it was a 5/16" tube stuck into a hole in the stopper. After that I started using a 1" tube, and now just leave the lid on loose. I never liked the way the big tube got gunky looking when it released kraeusen.