Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > If you had 1 type of honey to make multiple batches from

Old 06-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Matrix4b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneb View Post
Personally, I like raspberry blossom. Great aromatic floral notes, and a slight tang in the flavor that complements many melomel recipes. Not super common, not often cheap, but definitely unique.
I haven't tried that type of honey. Yeah, I missed out on Kyle's (from Gotmead.com) bulk buy for that, . I need more honey in about 4 weeks time as I am currently out. I plan on bottling just after the 4th and have 3 carboys opening up. And it doesn't apear that he has spare at the moment as he has not contacted me back yet as to what he has.

I really would like more of the OB and Buckwheat that I got last time from him. Now those were tasty honeys.

Matrix

Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1253 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 3619

A 5 gallon bucket of honey is about 60lbs. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on honey, I'd go with orange blossom; you just can't go wrong with orange blossom honey. Clover & alfalfa are just too bland for a show mead, whereas orange blossom will just shine. It also makes good melomels as it's a mild enough to blend with/enhance many different fruits.

I've had mixed results with wildflower honey; it might taste great on toast, but it doesn't always make great mead. I know it would vary from region to region, maybe knapweed & MT wildflowers just don't make great wildflower honey; I won't use it anymore. Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, GF.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
knotquiteawake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thanks for the info everyone. I ended up buying 15lbs (in 5lb $12.65 bottles) of Clover honey from Costco to make my first batch of Blueberry mead. While thats fermenting I'll be saving up to buy a 5 gallon bucket of Orange Blossom Honey from Dutch Gold.