HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Hard Lemonade Yeast Cake for Hard Cider?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
bdbogart
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hard Lemonade Yeast Cake for Hard Cider?

Hello!

I currently have a hard lemonade bubbling away - it's just 10 cans of lemonade concentrate, 2 lbs of corn sugar and 1lb light DME (OG 1.060). I used a wyeast champagne yeast. I want to make a simple hard cider next - would it be safe to just make the hard cider on the hard lemonade yeast cake, or would it give my cider a lemonade flavor?

I also have a hef going and was thinking of using that yeast; however, it's a german hef yeast and I don't know if it would impart too much of the hef flavor onto the cider.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
pabloj13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbogart View Post
Hello!

I currently have a hard lemonade bubbling away - it's just 10 cans of lemonade concentrate, 2 lbs of corn sugar and 1lb light DME (OG 1.060). I used a wyeast champagne yeast. I want to make a simple hard cider next - would it be safe to just make the hard cider on the hard lemonade yeast cake, or would it give my cider a lemonade flavor?

I also have a hef going and was thinking of using that yeast; however, it's a german hef yeast and I don't know if it would impart too much of the hef flavor onto the cider.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Personally I wouldn't. It's going to likely finish around 8% ABV and have been exposed to some pretty nasty conditions. I would just get a fresh packet of dry yeast for the cider. The hef might be interesting. Found this.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard