I have only seen one Rebel Mill setup with a motor, so I thought I'd share my experience and process for those wanting to motorize this monster.
I started by figuring out what gear ration I wanted. Rebel recommends 350-450 RPM for the motor. Since I didn't want to have a huge gear reduction (somewhere between 3:1 and 4:1), I just took a median of everything to start with. 400*3.5=1400RPM. After a long time of searching I came across this motor
, 1/3HP 1350 RPM.
using P*63024/RPM I got 15.6in*oz of torque. For this I was looking for something at least over 45, after the reduction.
So I chose the 2" pulley and 6" pulley from McMaster. To find the gear ratio you divide the pitch diameter of the two pulleys. In my case it was 5.75/1.75=3.3
To find the reduction to the motor:
This was right in the range that I wanted, so I went with it.
A few problems I ran into were the mill has a 3/8" shaft, and most of the larger pulleys don't have a bore that small, so I had to buy a reducer bushing
. Also, this increase in torque is a little too high for the starting capacitor for the motor, so I have to give it a slight nudge to get it started once I turn it on, which isn't a big deal, just a little annoying that I didn't think of this when designing (I will fix this soon).
Mill from Apex Electronics : $15 shipped
Run Capacitor: $15
6245K15 Die Cast V-Belt Pulley, 4L, A-, & Ax Section Belt, 2" OD, 1/2" Bore 3.92
6186K133 A-Section Rubber V-Belt, Trade Size A34, 36" Outer Circle 8.70
6420K14 Light Duty Reducer Bushing, 1/2" OD, 3/8" ID, 1-1/8" 9.17
6245K48 Die Cast V-Belt Pulley, 4L, A-, & Ax-Section Belt, 6" OD, 1/2" Bore 11.96
Total: $64.65, plus about $15 for the wood to build the stand.