Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Harvesting yeast question.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Pugs13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Harvesting yeast question.

Hey everyone, I had my very first successful session with harvesting yeast from my primary fermentor the other week and was curious to know if I could use this yeast with a different style of beer. The yeast is English Ale and I used it for an English Bitter and want to use it for an English IPA. I washed it and canned it up and it in my fridge and looks to be doing great. I know there are some rules with reusing yeast with different styles and such but was curious to know what your thoughts were on using it between these styles. Thanks.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs13 View Post
Hey everyone, I had my very first successful session with harvesting yeast from my primary fermentor the other week and was curious to know if I could use this yeast with a different style of beer. The yeast is English Ale and I used it for an English Bitter and want to use it for an English IPA. I washed it and canned it up and it in my fridge and looks to be doing great. I know there are some rules with reusing yeast with different styles and such but was curious to know what your thoughts were on using it between these styles. Thanks.
Shouldn't be a problem at all. Generally you want to reuse yeast from a lower ABV beer on a higher gravity beer if you can. Also one concern would be carry over flavors, (i.e. reusing yeast from a fruit/spiced beer or IPA on something mild). Looks like you should be fine on both accounts. To minimize carryover flavors, just dump almost all of the water on the yeast and leave only enough to swirl and resuspend the yeast to pitch (either directly or into your starter depending on yeast amount needed).

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 06-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Pugs13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Generally you want to reuse yeast from a lower ABV beer on a higher gravity beer if you can.
Yea our bitter is only 3.9% and our IPA is 6.5%. So that should work out nicely. I will get it in a nice fresh yeast starter tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Yea our bitter is only 3.9% and our IPA is 6.5%. So that should work out nicely. I will get it in a nice fresh yeast starter tomorrow. Thanks.
Depending on how much slurry you have, you might not even need a starter. Plug everything into Mr. Malty and see how much you need.

Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Pugs13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Depending on how much slurry you have, you might not even need a starter. Plug everything into Mr. Malty and see how much you need.
After running the numbers I would need roughly .5c of yeast. I may be just shy of that. I'll do a starter just to be safe and to get them ramped up.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
After running the numbers I would need roughly .5c of yeast. I may be just shy of that. I'll do a starter just to be safe and to get them ramped up.
Excellent choice.