HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Cherry Puree

Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
kingzog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cherry Puree

I'm thinking of making 5 gallons of stout and would like to add some sweet cherry puree. I have a 3lbs can from Oregon Fruit products. Does anybody have an idea of how much to use?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My gut says none. No offense intended! I would say that you are in uncharted waters, so it really depends on how much flavor you want from the cherries. Are you wanting a hint? or to really taste it?

Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
My gut says none. No offense intended! I would say that you are in uncharted waters, so it really depends on how much flavor you want from the cherries. Are you wanting a hint? or to really taste it?
Uncharted waters? Why is that? Papazian has a recipe for a cherry stout in 'Joy of Homebrewing'- I think it calls for ~5#. Don't have it in front of me, but cherry stouts aren't that rare, right? I'd add the whole can. I would expect you to get a noticeable but not overpowering cherry flavor. Usually the quide is 1# per gallon, not sure for puree, I've only used fresh cherries.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:41 AM   #4
southern brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingzog
I'm thinking of making 5 gallons of stout and would like to add some sweet cherry puree. I have a 3lbs can from Oregon Fruit products. Does anybody have an idea of how much to use?
everything i have read conerning fruity brews calls for 1 pound of fruit per gallon of beer.

Be sure to use a 6.5 gallon carboy for this if its a 5 gallon batch.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My mistake! I love stouts but have not come across any cherry stouts as yet. How long does it say to boil the puree?

Old 07-11-2007, 01:56 AM   #6
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think the puree in a can is pretty clean if not sterile - it is canned after all and canned stuff lasts forever(almost). If you're adding it to the primary or secondary( most advise this to avoid boiling off aroma and maximizing flavor), I think sanitizing the outside and can opener and dump it in. If you add it to the boil I think it only needs to be in for a couple minutes. I don't boil fruit.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:50 AM   #7
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I'd use about 5 pounds, thats what I used for my cherry wheat and it turned out well. Like landhoney said, the contents should be sterile, just make sure the outside is sanitized.