Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Cut the keggle... Now what???

Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
mjmac85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Cut the keggle... Now what???

So I have been trying to find a keg to make into a keggle for a long time. After turning into my street I noticed my neighbor has a keg sitting in his garage. I gave him $20 bucks and I finally have my keggle. Cut the hole in the top and I am soaking it in bleach right now. The question is now what? The first thing I am going to add is http://www.brewhardware.com/wlsightg...al-thermometer. Going with weldless since I have no welding experience.

Now that I have a keggle I want to move into all grain. I am really just starting the switch. I noticed most keggles have a drain in it. I am a little confused as to what other accessories I need to add. Do I need a drain spout or should I just siphon it out? What exactly is the purpose of the false bottom?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
t-jarks22
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

The false bottom is to strain out the grains and hops that you brew with. And yes a bottom spout is pretty key as that is where the false bottom comes into play. I too am just starting all grain, and there is a lot of startup and gear that can make brewing all grain smooth and fun. Not to mention exciting! I have weld less fittings and they work great

Old 06-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
t-jarks22
Recipes 

And personally I would get the ball valve before the sight glass. Good luck your new venture. Cheers

Old 06-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
t-jarks22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-jarks22
And personally I would get the ball valve before the sight glass. Good luck your new venture. Cheers

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3576437286.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	65437

Here's my setup so far. Very simple. But the pump is a big help

Old 06-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Well first off what will it be used for.... ? A mash tun or kettle?

I use a cooler for my tun and keggle to boil in.

I have a weld less ball valve and then a pick up tube. You don't really need a false bottom if its just a boil kettle...
And a sight glass isn't nessasary either. I bent a price if aluminum and marked the gallon increments on it and hang it over the edge ...

edit since you are considering siphoning it out. Im guessing its just a kettle..... you are going to want a valve. I would save the money on the sightglass for now. If you are stating AG im sure there tons for u to buy .....

Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Buy or make a grain bag and start doing BIAB brewing today. "wilserbrewer" on this former sell them for about $20.

This will get you started really fast and cheap into all grain. You can then decide later if you want to go down the multi-vessel path.

You can make a wood stick or other to mark liquid levels, buy a (bobby_M) sight glass later.

For now use your auto siphon to drain kettle (PIA get a ball valve ASAP).

A wort chiller is not an option unless you go with the no chill method (Aussies really like the BIAB and No chill cube method).

Good luck,

Chris

Old 06-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
cliffhanger1821
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmac85
So I have been trying to find a keg to make into a keggle for a long time. After turning into my street I noticed my neighbor has a keg sitting in his garage. I gave him $20 bucks and I finally have my keggle. Cut the hole in the top and I am soaking it in bleach right now. The question is now what?
The first thing I would do is dump and rinse out that bleach, then go pick up Palmer's" How to Brew".
People Like This 
Old 06-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Ya man... bleach is caustic to metals. Go to oxyclean for the keggle. Dont want to ruin it before you even use it.
I am still in the process of building my system. Its a long process. Start with the most worthwhile additions first. A sight glass is next to worthless IMO. I originally just guessed based on the notches in the keggle. Then I measured 1gal at a time and notched my big metal spoon. Then I got a bigger keggle, and now I am back to guessing. When its all cooled and I dump it into the fermentor, then I get my volumes. To each his own, but if measuring is important to you, notch your spoon or something else that you can dip. Save that money and get the ball valve. I use two kitchen potholders and actually pick up the keggle anytime I need to drain it, and I dump it. Strike water, sparge water, mashout water, finished wort. Speaking of... anyone have some motrin?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
sendkyleanemail
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Get that bleach out ASAP!!!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Tomtanner
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

There are some simple all in one false bottom/ weldless ball valve setups you can buy

Name:	image-2737610117.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	65447

I'm not really sure what the consenses is on these things. This is mine but I haven't used it yet and can't speak from experience. I'm not using a sight glass on my mash tun but I did install some thermometers.

Name:	image-3109031463.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	65448

I still need to add a sparging mechanism