Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > attaching valve and thermometer to kettle

Old 06-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
onipar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default attaching valve and thermometer to kettle

Okay, here's a weird one for ya (or maybe just inane?)

I received my new boil kettle today. It has two welded ports, and came with a ball valve and thermometer with the proper threading. Two questions:

I've seen people put some kind of special tape around the threaded areas of the valve/therm *before* screwing it in (I'm assuming to ensure no leakage will occur?). Is this necessary? If so, what is that tape called?

How far should I tighten the attachments? They get very tight fairly quick. Should I take a wrench to it, or just hand-tighten?

Thanks very much.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Its pipe thread tape or Teflon tape which you can pick up at any hardware store. I would definitely use the tape its cheap and should prevent leaks. Also definitely take a wrench to it and tighten it more without over tightening it. So maybe another full turn or two. Then check with water for leaks.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John0228 View Post
Its pipe thread tape or Teflon tape which you can pick up at any hardware store. I would definitely use the tape its cheap and should prevent leaks. Also definitely take a wrench to it and tighten it more without over tightening it. So maybe another full turn or two. Then check with water for leaks.
Great, thanks! Will-do.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2033 Times on 1261 Posts
Likes Given: 2905

I agree with John. Teflon tape and German torque... good-n-tight!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I agree with John. Teflon tape and German torque... good-n-tight!
Sweet, good to know. I had a feeling that was the way to go, but I guess I needed the a-okay from some professionals!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
ChuckO

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 14

+1 on the teflon tape, but I would be cautious about over tightening the threads. Hand tight plus 1/2 to 1 turn should be sufficient to seal a taper thread. Too tight and the threads will deform and might not ever seal. Remember, you can always tighten it a little more if it leaks, if the threads have deformed from over tightening you are out of luck without a sealant.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
HopSong

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The teflon tape not only helps provide a seal.. but, just as important..The teflon tape provides an, essentially, inert seal that has lubricative properties... thus making removal clean and easy. Like metals have a tendency to bind/gall. Overtighten and you may never be able to remove without ruining/stripping the threads w/o the tape (or some other gooy stuff that you don't want around your beer) .

Old 06-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
onipar
Recipes 

Sounds good, thanks all! I'll pick up the teflon tape and be sure to cautiously tighten. I'm sure glad I at least had the presence of mind to ask about this!