Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Injecting Oxygen and Chilling

Old 06-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudill
The key is to keep it simple - here's my knockout setup:

Untitled by brewerJP

As chilled wort passes I have my air compressor injecting air into it. I prefer to use air because it's impossible to over-aerate. And yes - it is highly filtered! I have a Meissner 0.1um capsule filter inline and a coalescing filter before that to capture any liquids.
Very interesting. Filing this under brew stand 2.0 ideas.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandena View Post
Very interesting. Filing this under brew stand 2.0 ideas.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
imperialipa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I like that idea. I was looking at more beer and saw an inline o2 unit kind of like what you have set up there. We are going to be moving to a 1bbl system when we get our TTB approval and if I am going to build everything from scratch I want ease of use, speed and consistency.

I figure for my first 3-4 batches I can load in 10 PSI for 1/2 the batch and see how everything attenuates. If I need to put more in I can do it the next batch.

I realize gravity will effect saturation as well but short of buying a REALLy expensive DO measuring unit I'll have to experiment a bit before I get it all down.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
DRog00
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHoppyGuy View Post
Despite other replies, what you're looking to do is quite common. Most brewers build their own.
Fast chilling and the addition of clean oxygen are both beneficial.
If you look at Sabco's BrewMagic site, they have a Chill-Wizard that does just what you are looking for at $830. We could build you the same thing for $200 less.
Blichmann sells a plate chiller, not a counter flow and it's overpriced. Plate chillers can be had from several vendors at a reasonable price.
You seem to knock vendors that aren't really part of this website, while praising those that are signed up as vendors. What's the deal with that?

BTW, the chillwizard uses a Blichmann Therminator. It is actually a dual pass plate chiller, which is one reason it is so effective. There are cheaper alternatives out there, but he's done the investment to have a quality product.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
OneHoppyGuy
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRog00 View Post
You seem to knock vendors that aren't really part of this website, while praising those that are signed up as vendors. What's the deal with that?

BTW, the chillwizard uses a Blichmann Therminator. It is actually a dual pass plate chiller, which is one reason it is so effective. There are cheaper alternatives out there, but he's done the investment to have a quality product.

Purely one man's observation.
I'm not knocking the vendor, simply pointing out the cost of their products in relation to the cost of the individual parts. I said nothing in regard to the quality.
Something to note: When we build systems, our customers are NOT limited in the parts selection. They can choose hardware from ANY vendor. We have systems with Blichmann Kettles, Stout Kettles, March Pumps, Chugger Pumps... etc. Not exactly what you would call prejudiced.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:15 AM   #16
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

One problem with this type of system is that when you are aerating such a small area you generally need a flow meter of some kind. They're a bit pricey, though not too horrible. But the real issue for me was trying to clean the O2 stone. Simply running boiling water through the tube didn't seem to get it done. Mine kept clogging. Disassembling everything to clean it became too great a PITA. I still use the counterflow chiller, but now I just aerate with a wand. I think it's less hassle overall. My 2 cents.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
jcaudill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
One problem with this type of system is that when you are aerating such a small area you generally need a flow meter of some kind. They're a bit pricey, though not too horrible. But the real issue for me was trying to clean the O2 stone. Simply running boiling water through the tube didn't seem to get it done. Mine kept clogging. Disassembling everything to clean it became too great a PITA. I still use the counterflow chiller, but now I just aerate with a wand. I think it's less hassle overall. My 2 cents.
Not to be a broken record - but again this is why compressed air is a better idea than O2. You don't need to meter anything, just crap it open and go.

Also - having an air compressor is super super valuable in the process. I use it to push liquid out of my stone, my plate chiller, my pumps, etc. after I'm done brewing. Helps keep the nastys out.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #18
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Are you using an inline filter on the compressed air?

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir

Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
jcaudill
Recipes 

Absolutely - it must be filtered for both air and liquid. I have a cheap coalescing filter right at the connection from the compressor to catch any liquid, and then I have a Meissner capsule filter 0.1um to clean the air. I have a ball valve with check to control flow and keep liquid out.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #20
chiteface
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudill

Not to be a broken record - but again this is why compressed air is a better idea than O2. You don't need to meter anything, just crap it open and go.

Also - having an air compressor is super super valuable in the process. I use it to push liquid out of my stone, my plate chiller, my pumps, etc. after I'm done brewing. Helps keep the nastys out.
I have heard that it is really hard to overdo the O2. But really easy to under oxygenate. Also that even using a compressed air pump, the best you can hope for 8ppm. What are the impacts of too much oxygen?