Another Newb! - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Another Newb!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Union City, CA
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I've lurked the Kombucha forum long enough! Y'all gave me such good information that today I actually got my stuff together and now have a scoby starter in the making. It was pretty easy too, all the info here made me quite confident that I could get it to work. The only possible downside is that the only kombucha I had available to me was GT's citrus. Still I decanted two containers worth and pitched the thick slurries in the bottom into my starter tea and hopefully I'll have a nice scoby in a few weeks! Again, thanks for everything HBT!

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Canton, ME
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Good luck! If that doesn't work, it's usually pretty easy to find someone on Craigslist with a scoby for $5 or less. That's how I got started.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Union City, CA

So I checked it today and there was a nice starter growing on top! It's not that thick but the tea is VERY sour so I imagine it's ready for some more sugar. I'm gonna make some new tea tomorrow and pitch the scoby!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Canton, ME
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Sounds like you're right on track! In my experience, the first one's always thin and weak, just keep it going and you should be good to go.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Union City, CA

As I type this, I'm sitting sipping on the first glass of my homemade kombucha! Thank you all for your help! Now, to make some more!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
onipar
Recipes 

May 2011
Tannersville, PA
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewing Clamper View Post
As I type this, I'm sitting sipping on the first glass of my homemade kombucha! Thank you all for your help! Now, to make some more!
Congrats! I started my first SCOBY from the gingerade flavor, and it worked like a charm. I've read that it's better not to start with the flavored ones, but I'm not sure why.

I also found the first SCOBY to be fairly thin, but now three batches in, the older ones are getting a bit thicker with every batch, and the new baby Scobys are looking better and better from the get go.

It seems like once you get them established, they thrive.