Anybody up for a riddle? - Page 94 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anybody up for a riddle?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #931
bruceski
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
wichita, kansas
Posts: 27
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


My last name is RIDDLE What am I supposed to do?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #932
boscobeans
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Schenectady, New York
Posts: 916
Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts


This is a toughy. I did a quick search and couldn't find it so here it is.

Five men find themselves stranded on a small dessert Island.
Checking out the island they find an abundance of coconuts and a monkey.

They gather coconuts on the first day and after amasing a huge pile decide to retire for the night and divide up the coconuts in the morning.

During the night man #1 wakes and decides he will divide them up and hide his pile before anyone else wakes up. He does so and winds up with 5 equal piles and 1 coconut left over. He stashes his pile, puts the other 4 equal piles together and gives the extra coconut to the monkey.

One by one each of the other 4 men wake up and do the same and each time there is 1 odd coconut which is given to the monkey.

In the morning they awake to see a greatly reduced pile but since they each were guilty of sneaking off with their shares they say nothing and divide up the remaining pile into 5 equal piles. On this last division there is no extra coconut for the monkey, just 5 equal piles.

What is the smallest possible number of coconuts that could have been in the original pile they had before retiring for the night?


bosco

LabRatBrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #933
Frogmanx82
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 143
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts


There are 21 coconuts in the original pile. Man #1 buries 4 and gives one to the monkey leaving 16. Man #2 buries 3, and gives one to the monkey leaving 12. The monkey takes another one leaving 11. Man #3 buries 2 gives one to the monkey leaving 9. The monkey puts two back in the pile leaving 11. Man #4 buries 2 gives one to the monkey leaving 8. The monkey takes 2 more leaving 6. Man #5 buries 1 gives 1 to the monkey leaving 5 in the pile in the morning.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #934
boscobeans
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Schenectady, New York
Posts: 916
Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
There are 21 coconuts in the original pile. Man #1 buries 4 and gives one to the monkey leaving 16. Man #2 buries 3, and gives one to the monkey leaving 12. The monkey takes another one leaving 11. Man #3 buries 2 gives one to the monkey leaving 9. The monkey puts two back in the pile leaving 11. Man #4 buries 2 gives one to the monkey leaving 8. The monkey takes 2 more leaving 6. Man #5 buries 1 gives 1 to the monkey leaving 5 in the pile in the morning.

No tricks in this one... The monkey only gets 5 coconuts. He gets ONE from each of the 5 night time divisions. In the morning the last division works out to 5 equal piles and none for the monkey.... The monkey does not put any coconuts back.

21 is not correct.

Reason: sp

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:58 AM   #935
Frogmanx82
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 143
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts


Well, its not hard to google the answer. Its not really a riddle, its more like fairly complex math.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:07 AM   #936
boscobeans
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Schenectady, New York
Posts: 916
Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
Well, its not hard to google the answer. Its not really a riddle, its more like fairly complex math.
Sorry about not being a riddle.

I saw this back in 1963 or so. It was in a book by (I'm pretty sure) National Scientific ?? "100 of the most difficult puzzles."

Was a killer to solve with no internet or calculators..
Did it like most mathematicians "worked it out with a pencil."

bosco

Reason: sp

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #937
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
LabRatBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 3,071
Liked 1056 Times on 733 Posts


if you have the time
in this thread we rhyme
it adds to the puzzles
sometimes gives the googlers a muzzle
but that its not a proper riddle
is no reason to grab a fiddle...I,er, mean sit and diddle
I like the difficult math
and when I'm awake and sober I'll seek path

boscobeans Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #938
boscobeans
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Schenectady, New York
Posts: 916
Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatBrewer View Post
if you have the time
in this thread we rhyme
it adds to the puzzles
sometimes gives the googlers a muzzle
but that its not a proper riddle
is no reason to grab a fiddle...I,er, mean sit and diddle
I like the difficult math
and when I'm awake and sober I'll seek path
Writing that was probably harder than solving the puzzle..

bosco

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #939
Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Dan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Posts: 7,189
Liked 2204 Times on 1381 Posts


huh, what. has it been answered. Was busy writing rhymes. But dont have an answer
I know you said nothing to do with the monkey.
I am just going to post some rhyme to keep this riddle thread funky
It is a riddle thread but as well as that
Rhyming riddles and answers is where it's at
I don't have an answer but sure this will be amazingly simple
When somebody explains the answer to this riddle
Those are always the hardest, Emjay I'm playing my fiddle
Tried in my head to do some quick math
But a calculator was better up to the task
All I know now is there's probably no tricky math here
And if there is I'll have to cry in my beer
Anything times five is equally devided by five
So what is the odd one that is thrown out
Unless it's been half eaten by a monkey drinking stout.
Then each time the batch was devided
There was an extra, I'm just recite'n
If a monkey had taken another bite during each evolution
Ah crap.. I don't know the answer
But my dog dasher is conferring with prancer
And who the fork knows, they might come up with a solution

LabRatBrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #940
boscobeans
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Schenectady, New York
Posts: 916
Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
huh, what. has it been answered. Was busy writing rhymes. But dont have an answer
I know you said nothing to do with the monkey.
I am just going to post some rhyme to keep this riddle thread funky
It is a riddle thread but as well as that
Rhyming riddles and answers is where it's at
I don't have an answer but sure this will be amazingly simple
When somebody explains the answer to this riddle
Those are always the hardest, Emjay I'm playing my fiddle
Tried in my head to do some quick math
But a calculator was better up to the task
All I know now is there's probably no tricky math here
And if there is I'll have to cry in my beer
Anything times five is equally devided by five
So what is the odd one that is thrown out
Unless it's been half eaten by a monkey drinking stout.
Then each time the batch was devided
There was an extra, I'm just recite'n
If a monkey had taken another bite during each evolution
Ah crap.. I don't know the answer
But my dog dasher is conferring with prancer
And who the fork knows, they might come up with a solution
Sorry! I am poetically challenged. So this is a straight riddle in it basic form.

I promise there are no tricks like "The monkey ate one" or anything like that..LOL

Thanks for the answer it made my night..

bosco

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump