all grain yeast starter problems - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > all grain yeast starter problems

Old 06-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
travishall1987
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Charleston, SC

I made an all grain starter yesterday because I couldn't find a place around here that sells DME. It went well to the best of my knowledge, and when I was done I had a starer wort with an OG of 1.030. The problem is, I pitched the yeast today around 9am, shook it vigorously then left it for awhile. When I returned home there were no visible signs of fermentation. I've been shaking it every hour at least since then but not much going on in the growler. I'm using a high gravity trappist yeast from wyeast. I never got it to fully activate for some reason but smacked it pretty hard several times and waited a while for it to do its thing. Can anyone shed some light on my little dilemma? I'm wondering if i should go buy some new yeast and give this thing another shot...

Old 06-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8032 Times on 5611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by travishall1987 View Post
I made an all grain starter yesterday because I couldn't find a place around here that sells DME. It went well to the best of my knowledge, and when I was done I had a starer wort with an OG of 1.030. The problem is, I pitched the yeast today around 9am, shook it vigorously then left it for awhile. When I returned home there were no visible signs of fermentation. I've been shaking it every hour at least since then but not much going on in the growler. I'm using a high gravity trappist yeast from wyeast. I never got it to fully activate for some reason but smacked it pretty hard several times and waited a while for it to do its thing. Can anyone shed some light on my little dilemma? I'm wondering if i should go buy some new yeast and give this thing another shot...
I'd give it some time. If it didn't swell when you smacked it, it obviously wasn't very viable. Maybe tomorrow check the SG and see if it's dropping, just to make sure it's working.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:10 AM   #3
zebbielm12
Recipes 

May 2012
ann arbor, mi
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

You did mash the grain, right?