Self-contained Jockey Box for tailgating - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Self-contained Jockey Box for tailgating

Old 07-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
av8rbama
Recipes 

Feb 2007

Here's my plan. I've finally convinced my wife into letting me get the equipment to keg. Got a heck of a deal on the Sanyo 4912 at Best Buy using reward zone certificates and a coupon. However, I don't have room to put it out where I can do the whole tower deal right now, so I will likely just serve from picnic taps inside the fridge.

A huge reason for kegging is for tailgating. I'm not going to build a nice kegerator and transport it out to the tailgate every week and get it all beat up. I'm thinking of a jockey box. I've found a two-circuit cold plate for a good price, and hoping to get a decent deal on a pair of 3-gal cornies.

Here's the million-dollar question: How much ice do I need on the cold plate? I'm hoping to make this all self-contained, ie use 3-gal cornies so I can fit them inside a decent-sized cooler. The cornies will be chilled in the fridge before hand.

Anyone tried something like this and have a cooler recommendation?

Old 07-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

If the cornies are bathed in ice, the cold plate is somewhat redundant. No... not redundant... unnecessary.

Between the cold plate, the cooler and the premium paid on 3 gallon cornies, you might well have bought a second Sanyo.

Just MHO.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 07-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
FlyingHorse
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Evanston IL
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Might wanna check out EdWort's solution for portable 5-gal cornies:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...16&postcount=1

Old 07-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
av8rbama
Recipes 

Feb 2007

I like the cooler + cooler combo.

Yeah, price for building a jockey box would come out to over half of what the Sanyo is worth.

-but-

I told my tailgating buddies that my wife was cool with kegging. They all mentioned something about the "cooler with taps thingy" and offered to chip in if I could make it to take commercial kegs too, so my plan is to get the cold plate and use flared fittings so we could put a sanke tap on it in the future if need be. If they help pay for it, I will definitely build it.

I've got another buddy who may have the hookup for 3-gal cornies and I figured that would just be icing on the cake to be able to use them INSIDE the jockey box.

Everything being self-contained would make for quick cleanup to head to the game, no more than I have right now with a cooler full of bottled beer.

But I'm cool with a trash can full of ice as well.