Fermentation - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Fermentation

Old 06-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
andyaldis
Recipes 

May 2012

I am brewing my first batch it is an American Amber kit. Its been fermenting for about a day and the airlock blew off. Is it ruined or is there anything i could or should do?

Old 06-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
Reno_eNVy
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts

It's most certainly not ruined. I'm assuming it's still fermenting hard so it's creating a lot of CO2 that will push out of the opening at keep outside air at bay.

What you should do (especially if you don't leave much headspace) is make a blowoff tube.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Arlington (DC), VA
Liked 3424 Times on 2445 Posts

After following the above blow-off tube suggestion, let it finish fermenting, bottle, and send it to me for testing to make sure it's okay

In all seriousness, you're probably fine. Blow-off tubes are usually a good idea for the first couple days.
Cellar: '10 Brett B Tripel, '11 Lambic, '13 Brett C English Barleywine, '13 Quadrupel, '13 Sour Stout, '14 Brett C Bitter, '14 Spontaneously Fermented Cider, '15 Wee Heavy, '15 100% Brett B Red, '15 100% Brett L Kriek, '15 Bière de Garde

Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
AussieBrewerInColorado
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Denver, CO
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Yeah, use a blow-off tube to prevent in the future. Also, use a primary vessel larger than what you're using. i.e. I use a 6.5 gallon carboy for a 5 gal brew which allows plenty of room for the yeast to do its thing. It is typically a good sign that your yeast is doing its job. However clean with sanitizer asap to avoid infection and replace with sanitized airlock. Peeps here have had beer all over their ceiling due to aggressive fermentation. RDWHAHB

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb

The Keg Ran Out Club (KROC)
Broomfield, Colorado
http://www.kroc.org/