JOAM Bottling Today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloridaCracker

Reaction score
Well, after one year and 3 weeks I am going to bottle my JOAM today! There may be some descrepencies from the true JOAM followers as I used a champagne yeast instead of bread yeast, and I have racked it (now in a tertiary).

The reason for the deviation is I wanted a higher abv content. The reason for sitting in the carboy for over a year is I want it to be crystal clear. (I can now read a newspaper through it!)

My LHBC is throwing a gigantic annual compititon (http://www.thecask.org/first coast cup.htm) "First Coast Cup" and I would like to enter this mead! I'm heading to the HBSS now, and hopefully will have some nice pics for you all of the finished product.

Florida Cracker

Sounds good. Only issue with a dry JOAM is that the low ABV and residual sweetness covers up the highly bitter pithiness from the whole non-peeled oranges. I hope your 1+ year aging will help out. Good luck and happy brewing.

Good luck in the competition. I'm curious how it works out. I like the taste of JAOM but my wife doesn't like the thicker mouth feel so I'm looking for another yeast with a thinner wine mouth feel.

Thanks guys for the wisdom! I haven't tried it yet... Letting it chill til tomorrow night. But Arpolis, your post provides logic that I wouldn't have thought of. Hopefully time has toned down the bitterness (although it still smelled pretty orangey) enough for me to place in the comp.

Taise, when I racked into my tertiary (~October) my wife complained that it was too thin and "alcoholey" (sp?). Hopefully we both can find a middle ground to please the ladies...

:Well, as promised, here are the pics... BTW, I think I have a solid chance at placing.... This is really good. Has definately (sp?) "settled down" since racking back in October. The alcohol bite is gone. Smooth, fruity taste is all that lingers! :rockin:

IMG_5330.jpg

I just cracked into my year old batch of JOAM that I added 6 Cerrano peppers to 6 months ago, Wow, this is good stuff, got a little heat to it but that fades pretty fast.

Well, no good news... :(
The competition was this past Saturday and I scored a 22... That's pretty dishearting when you've waited a year on something...
The judge made some good notes that I'd agree with. "Watery..." Yes, it is a tad thin. "Not enough orange flavor to match the aroma" -Yeah, maybe I shoulda entered it as a trad instead of a Melomel. So, in case you have wondered... Apparently to BJCP members it isn't that good.

Who care what a bunch of other people think, if you like the taste, then drink up!:rockin: thats my opinion :eek:

Sounds good. Only issue with a dry JOAM is that the low ABV and residual sweetness covers up the highly bitter pithiness from the whole non-peeled oranges. I hope your 1+ year aging will help out. Good luck and happy brewing.

I know this is off topic but I appreciate this comment.

I'm new to mead making and I've noticed on the initial rack (and taste test) that the only thing I really taste is the flavor of the orange rind. (using a basic mead recipe, similar to JOAM minus the cinnamon & nutmeg and substituting D47 and EC1118 for the bread yeast). It also seems to be the first smell I get when I remove the bung.

So I was wondering if I should remove the rind before adding the orange to the next batch. And what do ya know! You've provided my answer!

Thank you.

Well, no good news... :(
The competition was this past Saturday and I scored a 22... That's pretty dishearting when you've waited a year on something...
The judge made some good notes that I'd agree with. "Watery..." Yes, it is a tad thin. "Not enough orange flavor to match the aroma" -Yeah, maybe I shoulda entered it as a trad instead of a Melomel. So, in case you have wondered... Apparently to BJCP members it isn't that good.

65412d1340072530-joam-bottling-today-img_5330.jpg
Crown caps for the win. :rockin:
I did some long term testing and caps held up to corks quite well (at least 3-4 years)

on to corks. Some of those bottles look like your corking too slow. Run that corker fast, you wont break a bottle.
I'm a big fan of pvc shink capsules for long storage, I'd definitely capsule them, especially the high corks to keep dirt/dust and drying to a minimum.

BJCP isn't the best place, they want FRUIT FLAVOR in melomel, they want SPICE FLAVOR in Metheglin. when mead gets subtle, its watery and "Not enough xxx flavor to match the aroma"

Never bring a 3 yr old white grape pyment to BJCP and enter it as a pyment.
Like JOAM enter it as a traditional.

Back