Imperial IPA hop advice - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Imperial IPA hop advice

Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
tdogg
Recipes 

Feb 2011
minneapolis, MN
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by everty2007 View Post
Sorry and thanks just wasn't sure where the whirlpool term was referring to
Whirlpool is referring to pumping your wort through or around a chiller at the end of a boil. you have the wort go through the pump and return to the kettle through an angled inlet so the wort in the kettle rotates like a whirlpool. this helps move wort over the chiller (if using an immersion chiller, this will speed up the chilling) and it helps sediment collect on the bottom in a nice little pile if done correctly.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #22
bobbrews
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Sierra, Nevada
Liked 439 Times on 350 Posts

Or, if you don't have a chiller, just a very basic setup, you can still whirlpool by using a spoon and stirring the wort to create a vortex, so the trub settles in the middle-bottom of the kettle in a cone shape. After it has a chance to settle, this makes it easier to siphon. I don't think the technique of "whirlpooling" is necessarily synonymous with having a coil or counterflow chiller.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #23
everty2007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Sheboygan, WI
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well today is the day I will finally be brewing this beer. I took the suggestions and tweaked to get my final recipe. Along with the grains in Tdoggs recipe I'm adding a bit of carapils and honey malt based off other recipes I found online.

The hops- I will be first wort hopping with cascade, the warrior at 60, a little more cascade at 45 then mixing 1/2 oz of simco, citra, and amarillo during the last 15 min to zero. Then I will whirlpool while chilling to pitch 2 packs of US-05. With 2 weeks left in secondary I will dry hop with 1/2 oz of simco, citra, amarillo and the remaining cascade.

If anyone is interested I will post the results and let you know. Thanks for the help and advice I really do appreciate it.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #24
DrHop
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Berkeley, CA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

That doesn't seem like enough hops. 1.5 oz of hops late in the boil for 5 gallons? I'd do at least twice the late hops and dry hops. I do like hops a lot though.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #25
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Jan 2012
san mateo, ca
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

You need to seriously up the late addition hops. My IPA uses around 5oz's in the boil and 8oz's for the dry hop. That's more to style.