What NOT to do... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What NOT to do...

Old 06-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
wfowlks
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Worcester, MA
Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

So I was trying to diagnose some foaming that I kept getting, Trying to figure out if the beer was to warm or too cold. So I filled a growler with water and put my thermometer in it, so that I could get the liquid temperature.

This is what happened:

The glass was not fun to deal with, and I am still trying to deal with the shards mixed in with the ice frozen to the bottom of the keezer... Time to get a bigger fan to move the air around.

------------------------------------------------------

I figured this would be a good thread of pictures or topics that could be comic relief or lessons to those less experienced, and to hopefully save some people some money.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
raven1a
Recipes 

Mar 2012
lakeland, mn
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

My guess? You had it too cold.

#ducktoavoidflyingbrings

Old 06-16-2012, 02:28 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Looks like it was a little too chilly...

Old 06-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
csamuel

Recipes 

Apr 2012
Naples, FL

Had the same challenge when I put a collar on the keezer. I had the temp sensor very high on the collar so I would have cold beer at the taps (in my mind). The temp at the bottom of the keezer was so low it froze the beer at the kegs out tube. You live and learn and play with the temp probe placement/temp controller temp.

I have my them controller at the top of the collar and temp set at 37. Three weeks into it I have frosty cold good foam first pull every time.
Primary: Bourbon Barrel Old Ale
Secondary: Dry Irish Stout
On Deck: ???

Old 06-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
wfowlks
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Worcester, MA
Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

I actually had a fan inside, but it was not circulating enough air so I am getting a desk fan and putting it inside