Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sooooo Malty

Old 07-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
cfresh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sooooo Malty

After reading a few books I had decided to ditch dextrose in my kit beers and start using extract malts instead (for a little more flavor and body). I recently made a Morgans Bitter kit with 1Kg of Liquid Light Malt Extract. The results at 3 weeks after bottling are a very sweet malty brew and hardly bitter at all. Should I go back to Dextrose? Is there something else that will do a better job? Unfortunately I dont have the time to be doing partial or full grain mashes.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts

Post the complete recipe for your brew. The simple remedy for sweetness is to add more hops.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 07-09-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
cfresh
Recipes 

Simple recipe:
1.7Kg Morgans Bitter (hopped kit can)
1Kg Liquid Light Malt

Old 07-09-2007, 04:07 AM   #4
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Your problem isn't the dextrose vs. malt extract. Its using prehopped LME. You'll never know how much/little bitterness will be in your beer if you use them.
Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 07-09-2007, 04:12 AM   #5
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The problem you ran in to is that kit is hopped under the assumption that you are using dextrose, which ferments out completely and leaves no residual sweetness. When you substituted for malt extract it put the malt/hops ratio out of balance towards the malt side.

You would need to add more hops to compensate for the added maltiness. How much is a tough call without knowing the makeup of the kit in question.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 07-10-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
cfresh
Recipes 

Damn! I havent seen a kit manufacturer that lists the ingredients with quantity so adding extra hops would be a guess.
Will adding extra hops just turn it into a bitter sweet beer? I think I read I would need to boil the hops to add bitterness as it isnt for aroma or flavor?? The recipe is in the style of an Aussie bitter I think I would use Pride of Ringwood hops. Im not really all that confident in adding hops to all extract brews which is why I was sticking with the kits.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

ask your homebrew shop owner. most of the LME's my guy stocks are NOT hopped, giving you total control over bitterness, flavor and aroma.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 07-10-2007, 11:20 PM   #8
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ya figuring out the hops amount would definitely be guesswork. Yes you would need to boil the hops to get the bittering aspects. I would suggest for this batch you just enjoy it as it is. Next batch try going to a recipe that uses all extract and add your own hops. Makes it easier when you know exactly what is in your beer.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 07-11-2007, 12:26 AM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

Some of the pre-hopped kits actually have hop particles and you can change the bitterness by boiling longer. As everyone is saying, doing an extract with steeped grains and your own hops is an easy step up from pre-hopped.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-11-2007, 02:44 AM   #10
cfresh
Recipes 

I have been boiling kits for at least 15 mins but the prospect of the full extract and steeping is still a little daunting. I have The Complete Joy of Home Brewing which has led to my experiments so far. Unfortunately my LHBS is really supply only and is not much help with anything other than kits. I was planning to do a kit with extract and grains steeped but this brew has stopped that in its tracks. I think my first extract only brew will need to be very basic - any suggestions?